• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

IT Professionals

I have moved out of my house after selling it, and am currently living in a hotel for a few month's while the new house is under construction. The hotel has free WiFi on an open network. For security purposes, I installed a VPN on my system(TunnelBear) to help secure my information. Is there anything else I can do to improve my security?
TIA

I do cyber security reviews on a daily basis. Your next step and bigger concern be local access. Never run as local admin, disable all autorun, keep av updated, and tighten up your local firewall. If you have sensitive data put it all in one folder and encrypt it. Lastly back your data up on an external hard drive, ransomware is spreading like crazy.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I do cyber security reviews on a daily basis. Your next step and bigger concern be local access. Never run as local admin, disable all autorun, keep av updated, and tighten up your local firewall. If you have sensitive data put it all in one folder and encrypt it. Lastly back your data up on an external hard drive, ransomware is spreading like crazy.

Second what @saltkreep88 stated.

I have Norton Security Suite that keeps my av updated, and manages my firewall(for now). Window's updates are done automatically. Both real time and cloud based protection are turned on. Can you explain local administrator and disable autorun? Although I have two external HD's, they are currently in storage, and unaccessable. BTW, I'm running Windows 10.

Even more important that all the other stuff mentioned is to have full complete backups that allow you to restore the entire system to a bare metal PC. Then test your backup and restore process.

That way, no matter what occurs, you can at least get back the system at the point of the last backup.

All that security software and procedures are nice, and necessary, but sometimes the hackers will still get you, and you don't want to be left high and dry.