• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jersey Devil Chalice frag

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm just curious if anyone still has it and if they have current pics. I am curious since it was an awesome looking chalice.

Thanks! :)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I lost my piece of it, which was probably top three biggest losses in my alk crash :cry:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Yeah, I was just texting darren about that. Basically the story behind it goes a little something like this: Steve from Ultra Corals a sponsor on here posted about a sick rainbow chalice he got in and wanted to move. I called Steve and got a price and Darren and I went halves on it. I named it the Jersey Devil and Darren picked it up. We cut a few frags off of it (like 5 maybe) and sold some to a few locals we knew and Darren brought some frags to the NJRC frag swap this past summer. They did not really sell and they were priced for less than half of what shrimplet is selling them for and were much nicer frags. Shortly after that, Darren cut the colony in half (the whole thing was maybe 6 inches across) and we each took our half. Unfortunately that is when tragedy struck and I lost my half to an alk crash and Darren's decided to die in sympathy. So he is right, it actually is pretty rare and there are only a few frags out there. Darren's picture of it with the other heavy hitter rainbows will give you an idea of why it is in such high demand. But as of right now neither of the people who found the chalice or named it have a frag.

IMG_4516_zpsd623be0f.jpg

I was one of the very few that was able to get a frag of this gem and I too lost my piece a few months back the only 2 pieces left to my knowledge is h20, Polandspring and shrimp but h20 and polandsprings pieces both morphed:(. IMO the best piece out there is shrimps but I heard through the grape vine that shrimps piece hasn't been doing to well lately and has receded :eek:

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice looking piece, but given all the tragedy stories... makes you wonder if this is just a fragile specimen to begin with.

Mike, do you happen to know where Steve at Ultra got it from? Maybe his supplier still has some?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
George I wish that was the case but I doubt it. It was really a unique piece.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
What happened to the thread over there? It was gone pretty quick.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I thought I couldn't see it just because I wasn't a member there. The thread is gone?

The thread is gone!

I didn't see it, but am guessing it was a "for sale" thread for a chalice that the seller was claiming was Jersey Devil. I'm now also guessing that one of the interested parties notified R2R of copyright infringement and that is why it was pulled. Again, this is all speculation, so I need to end this story with, ...and they lived happily ever after. The End.