• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jimroth's Big Ol' Tank

You might want to try bio pellets in the carbon reactor instead of more phosban. They take a little while to work but should help.

Is that the solid alcohol (carbon dosing) stuff? I'm already dosing vodka-sugar-vinegar. Isn't that the same? Are you having luck with the biopellets?
The thing that makes me nuts is I had it all going so well at one point. Maybe the nutrients from all that PE Mysis have built up in the system.
I cleaned the skimmer really well and I'm getting some good, controllable results today. I'm gonna do a couple 50G water changes in short succession and try to get back on track. Many of the corals look good, some don't. I'm going to cut my oyster feast dosing in half.
Thanks.

Jim
Was that the keds that I have?
It's probably fraggable if it was

That's good news. I thought you lost it for some reason! How's it doing?
Let's wait until I get my parameters stable for a few weeks if it is big enough to frag.
You're carrying the Kedd's torch for now! Don't drop it! (And make sure you tie your Keds).

Very bad luck with the power outage. I have lost some of my favorite fish and some corals are dead. It's cold in the house but I have a generator which helps.
RIP:
regal angel
Powder Blue Tang
copperband BF
foxface
Cleaner shrimp

MIA:
gramma
blood shrimp

Still hanging on:
Majestic angel
Yellow wrasse
Tomato clown

Some corals are lost to RTN, others look OK for now.

It's not the same as a real tragedy, but I am pretty sad about this and it's not even close to over. I'm going to have to clean house and start over.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
Jim,

totally sad to hear that. after speaking with you i took out the fish i could get and all of my corals. i brought them to my contractor's house who has a tank, and just said take them. I'm having a tough time dealing with the thought I'm probably out of the hobby until my next home. 2 outages in this short period of time is just too much.

ryanpal

NJRC Member
as a side note, i know you said you had trouble keeping oxygen levels up. if you need my battery operated air pump let me know. you can use two air stones at once...maybe it will help.

Jim,

totally sad to hear that. after speaking with you i took out the fish i could get and all of my corals. i brought them to my contractor's house who has a tank, and just said take them. I'm having a tough time dealing with the thought I'm probably out of the hobby until my next home. 2 outages in this short period of time is just too much.

I hear you. I don't feel like replacing all those beautiful fish just to watch them die in february. Who knows, I may lose the rest before we get power back. FML.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
That stinks JimIm growing very tired of this stupid weather pattern in Nj this year I too lost power,first time ever and all my sps are dead and most of my zoos.Keep your head up and we"ll all forge ahead.

Thanks Sandee, I'm still in shock.

Power has come back on after more than five days. I'm still not sure what happened to specifically cause my problems, but....

I was not thinking clearly at least some of the time. There was a lot going on reef and non-reef related.
The worst thing that happened was that I thought my Vortech backup battery was getting charged and it wasn't so the first couple of nights, when I turned the generator off, O2 levels went way down. I think that killed the fish that died.
After that happened, I decided I need to run my main circulation pump and skimmer. When I turned that on, it blasted the tank with 45F water. I think that hurt the corals, many of which are now either dead or RTN ing. My durable cali and oregon torts took a particular hit, I don't know if anything can be saved. A few acros are hurting, some didn't care and look fine. I'm going to spend some time today cutting off dead branches and assessing the damage.
Not sure where this leaves me in the hobby. I guess I'm glad I didn't buy that $300 declivis butterfly I wanted. But my poor little abberrant regal angel! Crap. I don't want to load up with nice fish only to see them die in a February power outage.
I'm in recovery mode now. The next several weeks will be spent getting the water quality as perfect as I can make it. Since my fish population is so small now, that shouldn't be a problem. Dead and marginal corals will be removed and rockwork will be adjusted. Interior surfaces will be cleaned and I will run a filter sock to collect crud that results. I will attempt to elimate all the mushrooms in the tank although I find that is not permanent.
The only fish I feel the need to add is a foxface, he was a real utility fish who kept algae way down in the tank, including bubble algae. The surviving majestic angel will eat some of that, and hopefully some aiptasia as well.
Surviving fish are:
Majestic angel (who was lying on his side the morning of the worst day. They are tough SOBs!)
Tomato Clown (hard to kill in anyone's book. But the RBTA made it too, without a care! WHo knew?)
Yellow Meringue Wrasse.

I have not seen my Royal Gramma dead or alive and I have some hope that he's just hiding. My cleaner shrimp died, I have't seen the blood shrimp but I have to assume he's bought it too. Sea urchin is fine.

I think long term I need either a bigger sump or to make a setup that lets me use a Rubbermaid tub. I spent too much time cleaning up floods during this crisis. Need better labeling of my electric cords. Need a bigger generator, 5500W is marginal.

I need a couple asprin.

Seahorses made it too, they LIKE cold water.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Very sorry to hear this Jim. I cannot believe that you had a generator and still there were so many casualties. What else one can do ???

Hang in there buddy!

Jim

I'm very sorry to hear of this!

LMK if there's anything I can do. I'm in transition my self preparing to move the system home, but when you rebuild, I have SPS for you.

On liveaquaria.com they say that Majestic angel is not reef safe. Since you have one, does it mean that some of them are reef safe?

sorry to hear of the loss! i know how disheartening it is!

i dont know if you stated it, but what generator do you have? a whole house, or just a portable?

Many angels are reef safe with sps only. No clams, no acans, no "fleshy" sps. Look in the reef fishes section on RC for more info.

My generator is a 5500w Honeywell from Costco. It's portable. I would have done better if I had run it 24 hrs the whole time, it was an expensive mistake.