• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jimroth's Big Ol' Tank

Tank was covered with cyano again when I came back. Skimming went well while I was gone, took a solid 4 gal of skim mate out. Fish were underfed per my instructions, still gross. Going to reduce photoperiod to 4 hours, see if that helps.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I hear ya! Sometimes this hobby really gets to you. I was considering doing away with the corals and go just fish a few times now.

Few weeks ago my Monties decided they were going to up and play dead. I think there might be some life in them but they don't look good, and some lost a lot of tissue. It was only the encrusting Monties, I just don't get it!

My sunset and pokerstar montis are alive but they are almost the same color (grey-white with hints of their real color).
Checked out my RO unit, AWI thought my membrane might be shot, but it's just the DI cartridge again, water is at 24PPM coming out of the membrane, dropping to only 16PPM out of the DI.
I'm going to get a couple new garbage cans and try a really big water change. Also time to attack the hair algae with peroxide. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
Sadly, I don't think my tank will be ready for new stuff by MACNA, I will have to restrict my purchases to dry goods if I don't see a big turnaround before then.

Kind of an amazing discovery today. I was using some hydrogen peroxide (3%, familiar item from the drugstore). The goal was to squirt it at the hair algae growths and they wither and die. Well I did that, with no impressive result, and I ended squirting in about half a pint of the stuff into the tank. Well the hair algae hasn't withered, but the red-brown slime that's been plaguing me really hates the stuff. Within a few minutes the tank was slightly cloudy-pink, and the skimmer went crazy, producing 5 gallons of watermelon-colored skimmate. I detuned the skimmer to get a stiffer foam and it's still producing like crazy. The foam is the color of cotton candy at the fair. I dumped the rest of the bottle in there, and all the brown crap has let go from the hair algae and is, I guess, getting skimmed out. The tank is slightly pink! And the fish seem fine.

And the hair algae did suffer from the peroxide. It fell apart overnight but only in some areas where I treated heavily. Back for more peroxide!

Hey Jim! It's been a long while. Maybe a year? (way too long for me) I got dislodged from access to the site for various reasons back then and got wrapped into may family projects like coaching baseball and soccer. I will post another note saying hello to the friends that I had not spoken with since then

Sorry to hear about the crisis and the losses. If there is anyone who can right the ship, it's you. I like the peroxide discovery. The mad scientist of Rockaway strikes again!
Bob

Kind of an amazing discovery today. I was using some hydrogen peroxide (3%, familiar item from the drugstore). The goal was to squirt it at the hair algae growths and they wither and die. Well I did that, with no impressive result, and I ended squirting in about half a pint of the stuff into the tank. Well the hair algae hasn't withered, but the red-brown slime that's been plaguing me really hates the stuff. Within a few minutes the tank was slightly cloudy-pink, and the skimmer went crazy, producing 5 gallons of watermelon-colored skimmate. I detuned the skimmer to get a stiffer foam and it's still producing like crazy. The foam is the color of cotton candy at the fair. I dumped the rest of the bottle in there, and all the brown crap has let go from the hair algae and is, I guess, getting skimmed out. The tank is slightly pink! And the fish seem fine.

You want to be careful adding peroxide directly to the tank in small amounts it is really great. But there is too much of a good thing with peroxide.

I cooked my rock in Sodium Percarbonate which degrades to 8% hydrogen peroxide and it nuked a really bad case of bubble algea that survived a winter in brute barrels in my yard with no water! Bleached the rock nicely too!

How come no one mentioned peroxide when I complained (still am) of having HA ? All those sea-hares that could not handle the job !?

How come no one mentioned peroxide when I complained (still am) of having HA ? All those sea-hares that could not handle the job !?

I stumbled over it on RC, seems like a fairly new remedy. I was talking to my reef-keeping neighbor, and he said an old-timer told him to put 1 Tbs. in his tank every week to maintain water quality, in FW!

Hey Jim! It's been a long while. Maybe a year? (way too long for me) I got dislodged from access to the site for various reasons back then and got wrapped into may family projects like coaching baseball and soccer. I will post another note saying hello to the friends that I had not spoken with since then

Sorry to hear about the crisis and the losses. If there is anyone who can right the ship, it's you. I like the peroxide discovery. The mad scientist of Rockaway strikes again!
Bob

Thanks Bob, I was wondering what happened to you!

You want to be careful adding peroxide directly to the tank in small amounts it is really great. But there is too much of a good thing with peroxide.

I cooked my rock in Sodium Percarbonate which degrades to 8% hydrogen peroxide and it nuked a really bad case of bubble algea that survived a winter in brute barrels in my yard with no water! Bleached the rock nicely too!

I'm going to do another pint, to work on the hair algae and kill more red stuff, which is staging a tiny comeback. Hell, I may start gargling with the stuff!

Where do you get the percarbonate?

I use it in remediation work. While it is great for cooking rock, cleaning and disinfecting equipment, I would not add it directly to a reef as there is a very small component if metals as impurities even in high grade percarbonate.

Are you dosing at the recommended 1mL per 10 gallons?
Both times I ended up adding an entire pint bottle. Based on my (very rough) calculations, that works out to around 2.5ml/gallon. The results were similar during the second dosing. Less red in the tank and the skimmate. I guess that means it's destroyed a lot of the cyano or whatever. The peroxide causes foaming so it is a kind of skimming enhancer. I dumped about 10 gallons of light green skimmate over a couple of days, topping up with salt water. The hair algae is less in the areas I treated. Tank still looks like crap, only in a different way.

Hair Algae continues to fade and be eaten by urchins. Have not repeated peroxide. Skimmer is skimming like crazy, pulling a lot of green skimmate. Coral colors are returning for whatever reason, shocking to see sunset monti color up, one of the tricolor acros got its purple back.
The brown crap with the bubbles in it is still along the top of the reef, but less. Still some stubborn red cyano on the bottom, probably need to hit that with a siphon.

Still getting better. Happy to see that a 3/4" tip of Oregon Tort survived the hair algae onslaught. I'll have to baby that one. I think that cutting nutrients to the quick stopped hair algae growth, and the hydrogen peroxide breaks its back, so it's a one-two punch. There is still a weird "mat algae" growing mostly on the substrate.
Won a Red Planet frag at the NJRC meeting, that got a choice spot to hopefully thrive. Also got a sad looking little brown acro colony that Herbie was trying to get rid of. It seems to have blue mushrooms on the base. I'll see what I can do with that.
Yesterday I did a 150 GALLON water change, my biggest ever. That should have an effect.
Off to MACNA later this week, hurray!