• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jimroth's Big Ol' Tank

I think I found out what the brown dusty crap in my tank was. The g*ddamn biopellet reactor makes it!! The drain from a biopellet reactor MUST terminate by the skimmer intake. so that crap can be skimmed out. How did I miss that???

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think I found out what the brown dusty crap in my tank was. The g*ddamn biopellet reactor makes it!! The drain from a biopellet reactor MUST terminate by the skimmer intake. so that crap can be skimmed out. How did I miss that???

Hey Jim, the output from a bio pellet reactor should go to the skimmer section of your sump or into a filter sock. ;)

Wow is there anything sadder than a naked hermit crab running around the tank? I looked in my nano and there was one sorry SOB of a hermit crab, lost his big claw and no shell. I think the tiger pistol ZAPPED him, he was like a crazy naked insane person running back and forth. I ran to my little pile of empty snail shells in the front garden and picked out some candidates, rinsed them off and dumped them in. He was putting one of those on in I am not kidding five seconds. And then checking out the others. He felt as rich as HerrMitt Romney. (or Broke Claw Bama, just to even things out). Then he had to inspect all the other shells, buyer's remorse. I wonder what happened to his original shell?

Incredibly, I am gradually getting what I wanted -- my tank is returning to that "new tank look," bare rocks. One of the urchins died, I think I better start putting some nori in there for them. Remaining urchins are scrubbing the rock, it looks good. There is a small amount of green algae showing up, but not hair algae, more like film. Aiptasia are back too. Quite a bit of new growth on my Miami Orchid colony,that is a head scratcher. I am going on a trip soon, I will do the sump and skimmer swap when I get back.

More color improvement. I went away for a week and came back to a lot of growth on the Miami Orchid colony and the indestructible tricolors. Plus, my seemingly unkillable M. Undata has turned purple again and is showing polyp extension. Man, I was just waiting for that thing to die, but no. The remaining tiny live bits on my poor Joe-The-Coral are showing some growth too. And M. Spongodes, which had gone brown, is getting green again.

Even the half dead colony Herbie gave me has colored up green. ...and here comes hurricane Sandy to screw everything up!

Wow is there anything sadder than a naked hermit crab running around the tank? I looked in my nano and there was one sorry SOB of a hermit crab, lost his big claw and no shell. I think the tiger pistol ZAPPED him, he was like a crazy naked insane person running back and forth. I ran to my little pile of empty snail shells in the front garden and picked out some candidates, rinsed them off and dumped them in. He was putting one of those on in I am not kidding five seconds. And then checking out the others. He felt as rich as HerrMitt Romney. (or Broke Claw Bama, just to even things out). Then he had to inspect all the other shells, buyer's remorse. I wonder what happened to his original shell?

LMAO!! I can always count on your threads for class A humor Jim. I hope you made it through the storm with those lights out so long. It broke me for the time being. Fortunately, I had been very conservative with my livestock lately. The sad thing was I was just getting back into the swing with the promise of a fragswap around the corner I had whipped it back into shape and was enjoying it with the children. I'm sure I will be talking to soon whether it at a meeting or something else. Your knowledge has always been a great resource for me....thanks!

Back in business. No fish died, the ones that were left were too tough to snuff. I didn't even feed them for the first week, since there was no skimming. Lost a couple sea urchins. And found out I still have a cake, he cme out of hiding and climbed the glass. NO ALGAE of any kind survived the dark, even bubble algae turned clear. The shrimp and goby nano was fine too, they are tough and had 18 hrs a day on the generator.

Glad to hear it wasnt a total loss for you.

What kind of cake do you have climbing the walls?

Chocolate cake. Or cuke rather. Nerves are still not back to normal after Sandy, during which I drunk an average of 50 cups of coffee a day to compensate for my untreated sleep apnea and all the martinis.

I really need to take a picture of my tank today -- it looks bare but incredibly clean. Even the back wall is clean, after starving snails for 12 days with no light for the algae! The water is also very clear.

Did a water and filter change on the nano, and had a nice or nasty surprise. The good news is every animal made it, right down to the pom pom crab. Except for the firefish, and I think I know why now. When I was ordering stuff for the nano, they were out of pistol shrimp during one order, so I ordered an "assorted pistol shrimp." What arrived was a small yellow brown one, very unremarkable. It molted in the bag and I thought it would be a goner. when I put it in the reef and it climbed up the back of the tank. I thought it had just vanished as some things do. Yesterday, I'm finishing cleaning the tank and here he comes out of the rock, and ugly brown pistol with an enormous claw, easily the biggest shrimp in the tank. He doesn't live in the sand, I don't think he hangs with gobies. He's a rocker, and I think he's been waiting for the firefish to dive into a hole in the rock and then ZAPPO dinner is served. I watched him go in and out of the rock, he's got all the tunnels figured out. I hadn't seen him since he went in. Kind of want him outta there now since I figure he'll kill whatever he can.