• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Jose's 45 Starfire Tank

So all my friends keep asking "when are you getting off your lazy a$$ and finishing the tank?" so I decided to finish it. I have been taking my time for a while and I finally got tired of my little 10g tank.

I will post some progress shots as I complete tasks.

When I bought it, it looked like this.
mini-DSC04803.jpg

I wasn't happy with the plain stand so I made a few mods.
Stand.jpg

stand2.jpg

And I decided to cover the nice euro brace with an ugly canopy.

Frame
canopyframe.jpg

It's starting to take shape.
canopy1.jpg

fulltank.jpg

full.jpg

unfinishedcanopy1.jpg

unfinishedcanopy2.jpg

Done...Well almost.
tank1.jpg

tank6.jpg

I have to apply a few more coats of paint on the canopy. Tonight I plan on setting up the sump and start the plumbing and wiring of the lights.

Hope you guys like.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looks great, and with the sump in place water should be imminent (drums fingers). Looking forward to the rest of the build in progress.

The last updates until after the holidays will be wired lighting, setting up the equipment, start of cycling the marco rocks and plumbing.
I'm still waiting on my 1.25" bulkhead to come in and them I can start the plumbing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Make sure you have at least a week before you plan on having people in the house for the cycling Marco rock. Two would be better. We were going to start ours just before Thanksgiving and decided to wait until after the holiday. SOOOO glad we did. That first week in my (whole) house was STINKY! And that was with the rock in the basement with a towel against the door keeping (trying anyway) the stink downstairs!

Agressive water changes may help this though.

I plan on following Jim's (house of laughter) advice and do full water changes once or twice a week.
I remember the smell like it was yesterday from the first time I ever cycled rocks. Not a good smell.

Phyl,

I started cycling the marco rocks today and OMG within an hr you could smell the stink throught out the house.
Wow I can't believe the order how bad it smells.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whew... that smell is so fresh in my mind I can nearly smell it just thinking about it! The worst of it should be over by now, huh?

Phyl said:
Whew... that smell is so fresh in my mind I can nearly smell it just thinking about it! The worst of it should be over by now, huh?

I cycled the marco rocks with some live rock I was cooking so I got lucky and the smell was gone within 36 hours. By the time I got home the second day the I had to put my nose by the water to smell anything.
The ammonia is at 0.50, Nitrite at 0.50 and Mitrate at 40 PPM. I used an Aquatic Pharmaceuticals test kit.

Some updates shots

Update time.

I wanted to have the tank running by now but I have been ordering a lot of my parts online and because of this my setup date keeps getting pushed back.
Now I'm waiting on sleeves and quick connects for my wiring , and fans.

Some updates for now.

Here I'm dry fitting pvc to make sure I measured right.
PictureorVideo094.jpg

PictureorVideo096.jpg

PictureorVideo097.jpg

PictureorVideo093.jpg

PictureorVideo092.jpg

Here the PVC has been glued and painted grey, I also drilled the sump and added the bulkheads.
PictureorVideo099.jpg

PictureorVideo100.jpg

PictureorVideo101.jpg

PictureorVideo102.jpg

Testing for leaks. So far so good.

Front shot
PictureorVideo106.jpg

Surface movement
PictureorVideo105.jpg

PictureorVideo110.jpg

External Overflow
PictureorVideo107.jpg

Sump
PictureorVideo113.jpg

PictureorVideo112.jpg

No micro bubbles in the main tank. I pretty happy because that was my biggest concern.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Psst.. you can use the clear PVC primer for reef related plumbing. The purple is only necessary for housing code.

You did a great job matching the drawing, Jose!

Thanks guys.

I used the clear stuff. I stopped using the purple stuff after I had to replace a few ceramic tiles because of it. :p

That is a super plumbing job. Fantastic that you kept to your plan and it worked out so well. Certainly looks efficient. If I get the chance to setup something I will certainly keep it in mind.

The only problem I'm having is the gurgling noise when the water goes into the sump. At first the pipes where under water and I cut/drilled a bunch of slits and holes to disperse the water/air and hopefully avoid the gurgling noise but that didn’t work. Then I cut the PVC right above the water level and all that did was give me the water fall effect. Next thing I’m going to try is add some elbows to have he water shoot out across the surface of the water. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to stick with filter socks, which I was trying to avoid.

With this plumbing design it gives me the flow I want. It creates enough movement in the display that I think I will not need power heads. I might restrict the flow just a bit to give the water some more contact time with the macro algae. I will know for sure once the rocks are in there.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice job Jose. It really looks neat and clean.

For the noise, try putting a 90* elbow right at the water line in your sump so that half of it is underwater and half is above. That worked really well for us in a couple of places. The other thing we found (which seems to be counter-intuitive and people often disagree with) is that the HIGHER the flow through the system, the quieter it is. Whenever we start getting noise in our 65, we know the pump is clogged or something else is restricting flow. The closer we get to the max of the overflows, the quieter it gets.

JohnS_323 said:
Nice job Jose. It really looks neat and clean.

For the noise, try putting a 90* elbow right at the water line in your sump so that half of it is underwater and half is above. That worked really well for us in a couple of places. The other thing we found (which seems to be counter-intuitive and people often disagree with) is that the HIGHER the flow through the system, the quieter it is. Whenever we start getting noise in our 65, we know the pump is clogged or something else is restricting flow. The closer we get to the max of the overflows, the quieter it gets.

Thanks john.

The 90' degree did not work. They minimized the noise but instead of sounding like Niagra falls they sound like the Paterson falls. I also notice that if I restrict one of the overflows the noise is not as loud. I'm going to play with the dursos a bit before I try the next mod.
Now the other noisy piece is the blueline 40. I remove the fan cover and it was louder, then I removed the fan all that did was eliminate the fan noise and made the humming more audible. LOL
I have a velocity T3 and it's very quiet, I'll probably replace the blueline with a velocity T2.
Other than that I got most of my wiring done.