• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Just my luck - Cyano

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Of course a few days before I leave on a 10 day vacation my tank breaks out with Cyano. I had a little before no big deal but this morning its sloughing off the rocks. I cannot treat it with ChemiClean because I won't be around for a water change, leaving tomorrow night. I was thinking of blowing all the crap off my rocks and coral with a turkey baster, cut lighting back to 4 hours a day while I'm gone, add some magnesium and a an urchin to try and keep rocks as clean as possible. Will have to deal with fallout when I return but want to be as minimal impact as possible. Any thoughts appreciated.

Mark

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did not realize how bad it was until I used the baster. Its all over the place eesh. I did swap out the return dorso from single to double this way I get the back and some more flow in front.

Also, would it be okay to use Chemiclean at 1/4 dose while I'm gone then come back and do a water change or no?

I've used ChemiClean and have not done a water change for two weeks after the instructions state with no ill effect.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I've used ChemiClean and have not done a water change for two weeks after the instructions state with no ill effect.

Great to hear that. I plan to stop by ACC or Trop only close stores I am aware of to get Mag and Chem after work.

I used chem clean it works good I usually put a extra powerhead pointed at the surface to aerate the tank a little bit.

Does cutting the light effect a cyano bacteria? I used Chemi clean and it worked well. But post treatment I developed a brown hair algae that took months to get under control.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Added Chemiclean last night and skimmer is going nuts even at lowest setting overflowing into sump. Hopefully will settle down soon. Picked up a nice tuxedo urchin from ACC for $10 and can already see it cleaning rocks.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Take the cup off for now. Did you remove any carbon or gfo that you may have? If not take it out.

And if you haven't, add either a bubbler or an extra powehead to to break the water surface during the treatment.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Take the cup off for now. Did you remove any carbon or gfo that you may have? If not take it out.

And if you haven't, add either a bubbler or an extra powehead to to break the water surface during the treatment.

GFO is offline. Between the dual return dorso, GYRE and Koriala I have plenty of surface movement.

erics210

NJRC Member
Had it real bad. suffocated my green slimer, a couple SPS from Marc's meeting in July, and it even did a number on my mushroom population killing off many because it slimed over them completely. I have a 210 and using turkey baster just seemed to spread the issue after 2 weeks.
I added two more power heads, reduced light intensity and duration, almost no feedings, and started sucking the rocks with tubing both as part of water changes and also anytime i was swapping out my filter socks I would suck directly into the sock being replaced, so it would remove the red slime buildup without reducing water levels. After a couple weeks and loss of some cool SPS and mushrooms and who can recall whatelse.....It is gone.

NOW, - LIKE MARK experienced, I was getting green algae build up. WTH?

So not sure what to do next. If not one thing its another.
Started off by removing smaller rock structure that has the algae, scrubbing off and blacking out the stuff for a few days or more before returning to the tank.
I picked off larger accumulations manually. Seems better but now gotta clean two powerheads that have gathered some on the rear of the heads. OR just spreading spores I am sure.

I've always had a spot of cyano bacteria in my tank in the corner by the rock work never really spread it was always there I would use chem clean and it would go away for a little bit and come back but since I stopped doing water changes it slowly went away and hasn't come back and it's been almost 5 months.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I strongly feel moving all my rock work to get the nems out is what caused this problem. All was fine until I did that. So I obviously have dead spots with detritus why I used the dual return. I think after the Holidays I will have to consider to redoing rock work to ensure no dead spot. I also want to add the fuge back but the light stand I built is slightly in the way. I can work around but there must be a better way. Or if anyone at the Dec meeting can suggest how to add an algae scrubber to my small sump would be great.