• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Just my luck - Cyano

erics210

NJRC Member
I've always had a spot of cyano bacteria in my tank in the corner by the rock work never really spread it was always there I would use chem clean and it would go away for a little bit and come back but since I stopped doing water changes it slowly went away and hasn't come back and it's been almost 5 months.

Sounds like your water may have been the source of the issue. Were you using your own RO/DI water?, Tap water?, well water?, store bought water, etc?
The contaminates may have increased the desired beneficial components the cyano needed to thrive in that less circulated area. Think I read silicates from the water can lead to small outbreaks. So may not have been the water changes or your process, but rather the water source of the changes.

I believe water changes are good overall. They make sense. Remove waste, pre-introduce new elements, calcium, magnesium, etc into the water and just freshen up things.

Sounds like your water may have been the source of the issue. Were you using your own RO/DI water?, Tap water?, well water?, store bought water, etc?
The contaminates may have increased the desired beneficial components the cyano needed to thrive in that less circulated area. Think I read silicates from the water can lead to small outbreaks. So may not have been the water changes or your process, but rather the water source of the changes.

I believe water changes are good overall. They make sense. Remove waste, pre-introduce new elements, calcium, magnesium, etc into the water and just freshen up things.
I use RO/DI I put all new filter in didn't make a difference and I have 2 mp10s at full power so it wasn't flow. Since I stop doing water I have been running ATI Essentials and the results have been very good better colors, growth I'm really impressed with it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I always used tap water going on 3 years with minimal issues. I moved so tap water could be different but the TDS is lower at new place. I know everyone will jump on and say to get an RO/DI unit but I don't make many water changes. Just seems weird that my prior tank was all HOB skimmer and fuge no problems. Go with a sump and now problems but is till say lack of fuge and no Magnesium dosing is part of the issue. I would dose 5ml Mag weekly.