• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kat's Nook

I just realized that I hadn't started a tank thread on this forum. So I'm going to correct that oversight. Started this tank in Nove 2014.
After getting TOTM for my Red Sea Max 34G on another forum, and filling it to the very top, the curved sides of the tank started to bother me. I was looking for a tank with square clean sides and possibly rimless. I chanced upon CADlights Artisan series, and got lucky to find the perfect dimension in their 50 Long. 36X18X18. I learnt Google Sketchup to create my nook and sump details.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yah4SswK0E[/video]

20150724_120141.jpg

The tank is drilled, starphire on all 4 sides, custom overflow. I have a hoffer in the compact overflow and the reef is mixed with equal varieties of SPS as LPS and polyps.
When I moved my colonies that had been growing 2-3 years in the other tank, they hated the change and started peeling flesh on me. A lot of heart break and fragging later, the tank is healthy and growing.
There are so many things to chronicle but the most important is that I run a nutrient rich system. I dose alk, calcium, magnesium and potassium. I have a heavy fish load, and a macro dense fuge, reactor and oversized skimmer to deal with the export.

More later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't clean the glass here but actinic shot of the left island with a colored gel on the cell phone. No photoshopping.
20150722_184850.jpg

I can't decide what impresses me most - that I have a tank that looks like this or that I can capture it on a crappy cell phone. :onthego:

grink

NJRC Member
Great looking tank!
Quick question. You said you have a heavy nutrient load. What are your phos readings?

Great looking tank!
Quick question. You said you have a heavy nutrient load. What are your phos readings?

Thanks. I have to test this week but the last test was 0.03, the test before that was 0.06. I've gone all the way up to 0.16.