• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Keeping Sepia Bandensis (Dwarf Cuttlefish)

I saw these guys at the Camden aquarium and have been interested in keeping them ever since. I know they only live for a short while, are hard to find, and will eat other tankmates. Has anyone else ever tried to keep them with success? Anywhere to find them in NJ? Thanks

Cuttle

Sepia B. Are the smallest and easiest to keep. Most time they are sold in eggs not hatched yet.

They have a life of around a year and get to be about 4-5 inches tops.

They will eat fish, shrimp and other inverts. Species only tank.

They also ink when freaked out so be careful. You need to do large water changes to keep the water clean if they ink.

This is a video of one i had in holding lived about 6 months. At this point it was probably about 3-4 months old

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 to what was said above. Order the eggs, have access to live small food once they hatch, realize they only live at the most a year and change, species specific tank. I have looked into these guys as well but never really had the setup for them. Elos had some flamboyents in a few weeks ago and they were amazing. Most people go with bandesis because they are kept at basically reef temp and stay smaller. If you can get a pair that lays eggs, you can keep the cycle going for a long time.