• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kessil and apex

eli smoke

NJRC Member
So I stumbled across somewhere, I can’t remember where, that Kessil and apex were looking for beta testers for their lights and fusion integration. So I signed up, and was selected.
I’m not allowed to go into too many details or share any images right now but if you use Kessil and apex you won’t be disappointed when this comes out.

So I stumbled across somewhere, I can’t remember where, that Kessil and apex were looking for beta testers for their lights and fusion integration. So I signed up, and was selected.
I’m not allowed to go into too many details or share any images right now but if you use Kessil and apex you won’t be disappointed when this comes out.
What a tease

Yeah, I saw when they were looking for beta testers to sign up before March 31st. Considered doing it, but didn't want to set up my Kessil lights. I guess Kessil won't be trying to compete with Apex directly going forward, unlike Ecotech's strategy. But I also hear that Apex will be coming out with their own lights eventually.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Yeah, I saw when they were looking for beta testers to sign up before March 31st. Considered doing it, but didn't want to set up my Kessil lights. I guess Kessil won't be trying to compete with Apex directly going forward, unlike Ecotech's strategy. But I also hear that Apex will be coming out with their own lights eventually.
I figured I’d give it a shot, I never get selected for anything. I’m really new to apex. Bought a used classic off fb market place then bought a bunch of modules because it’s addictive and ended up buying a new apex to do this beta.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is cool. I have a kessil controller so I don’t need the apex to control my lights. I have the 10v connector to allow the older 360we lights to be controlled by apex.
I am guessing the new connection will be wireless ( Wi-Fi)

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Is it the kessil spectrum controller integrated to apex ? ;)

No it’s not compatible with apex. The kessil controller is a stand alone controller for the legacy lights 360we and new 360x lights. Before you could buy a cable to connect your kessil lights to the apex. I think now with the new lights AP9x /A500x
Being wireless the integration with apex would be wireless.

eli smoke

NJRC Member
Kind of nice having it in fusion. I’m not sure what lights are compatible with this. I know my ap9x are. Never looked into the spectral controller before
No it’s not compatible with apex. The kessil controller is a stand alone controller for the legacy lights 360we and new 360x lights. Before you could buy a cable to connect your kessil lights to the apex. I think now with the new lights AP9x /A500x
Being wireless the integration with apex would be wireless.
people are on there talking about a WiFi dongle, but I don’t use that.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Kind of nice having it in fusion. I’m not sure what lights are compatible with this. I know my ap9x are. Never looked into the spectral controller before

people are on there talking about a WiFi dongle, but I don’t use that.

With the AP9x you don’t need the spectral controller.
You use the kessil app to communicate with the lights.
The AP9x also doesn’t need a dongle it has Wi-Fi build in.
What I use to like about having the kessil controlled by
Apex was that I could setup different schemes with no problem. I could have one for regular and one scheme for pictures or video. I could just press a button and it would go to the setting that’s best for picture or video taking.
Then when I was finish I could go back to my regular program. It was also very easy to share my setting in fusion. So if you wanted to run my light schedule I could just share the scheme

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm currently running three Kessil 360Xs on my DT with the Kessil dongle. Allowing my Apex to control both their intensity AND their color would be nice, but I'm not especially interested in buying any new modules or upgrading my existing (Lite) controller to the latest controller version. All that said, I also have to second guess any decision I might make that further puts all my "eggs into one basket"...

eli smoke

NJRC Member
I'm currently running three Kessil 360Xs on my DT with the Kessil dongle. Allowing my Apex to control both their intensity AND their color would be nice, but I'm not especially interested in buying any new modules or upgrading my existing (Lite) controller to the latest controller version. All that said, I also have to second guess any decision I might make that further puts all my "eggs into one basket"...
Problem with the apex is it’s like crack. If I buy this module I can do this, well I guess I need to do that too.

radiata

NJRC Member
If anybody is interested I believe this is available to the public now.

I looked for this news on the Neptune site and on the Reef Builders News site and couldn't find any references to this event. I assume that you have some inside information, so please let us know if you find any announcements about an upcoming release. My initial reaction was that I wasn't interested but in the connectivity but ,due to my age catching up with me, I'm now in a K.I.S.S. mode where I'm willing to give up the Kissel Spectral controller just to eliminate another pesky interface.

That said, Neptune interconnectivity seems to become a little bit squirrellry lately. Speaking with a Sicce rep at the last local Reef-a-Palooza, I learned that they (Neptune & Sicce) had developed an interface between the Neptune Apex and Sicce SDC series of pumps. Apparently no formal announcements have been made, but I was shown SDC pump packaging to the effect that the pump was Apex controllable.

On the fence about getting a Sicce pump? How could you be with the SDC's FIVE YEAR WARRANTY?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I use the kessil controller. If your apex goes down you won’t have lights over your corals if you allow apex to control the kessil lights

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Is this warning meant for older Kessil 360s or for their newer 360Xs?

For all the kessils for any light really. It’s better to use a separate controller like the kessil rather than using the apex.
If the apex dies your light will turn off.

The radion lights are no longer apex ready.
They want you to use their controller.

If you only run one light the it doesn’t matter. But if you run a few like I do. Let kessil control the lights.