• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Kschweer Red Sea 300XL

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Comon Kev,
You know as well as we all do that once you add the water and fish it all goes downhill.
There's tons you can do with models and mirrors now-a-days.
I do unfortunately lol. I told a co-worker today that I forgot how expensive this was. I don’t even want to admit how much I spent on my lunch break today for the tank.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
More progress!!!

Sump unboxed
350E1C7A-ADBF-4CF6-93EF-AF22C4A8EE30.jpeg1CA8CFAD-B8B3-4F8F-9CF8-6220F7CAB6D9.jpeg

Once again super happy with the quality. Also seems to be a decent amount of room for a pretty compact sump.

Plumbing was a breeze.
B8E5DA93-A641-4CA1-A3BB-ED399FCA2279.jpeg202A83D3-A12C-4A9D-BE76-FAF023441908.jpeg

There are two drains. One is the main, the one with the fancy valve to regulate, and an emergency. The main drain came with an interesting piece that is supposed to make it very quiet. We shall see.
917FF609-EE6B-4C23-8152-945E80BF481A.jpeg

The return was just as simple just needs to be plumbed to my return pump with a piece of vinyl tubing. For where the water comes into the tank it came with a “splitter”. I put that on. Not sure if I will need Teflon like the single outlet I took off.
E90E1047-F6A9-47EE-A21B-A739A3526010.jpeg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
One thing I wasn’t able to get pictures of was the “bulkheads”. The design was interesting to me. The “nuts” are basically fused to the tank bottom. You thread the plumbing into them and tighten by turning the plumbing not the “nut.” It snugged up surprisingly well.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Here is the “finished product”. I’m I’m not sure how I feel about the ato reservoir but I’m willing to give it a shot. It hold approx 3 gallons and gravity feeds to a float switch.
40A32402-12E4-4377-A818-D624F062FE57.jpeg185CEA89-2043-4DDC-ACB2-208E19BB59AA.jpeg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I was also able to mount the lights to the tank. I have been extremely impressed with the instructions for installation up until this point. The light installation instructions left much to be desired. I think it’s due to the fact that they used to use ai hydras for the “deluxe” setup but now offer their own Reef Led light. So the parts and instructions are basically a retrofit. I have always been a T5 guy but I’m willing to give these a chance. They really have a clean look to them. The deciding factor may be if I can figure out the app. As you guys know I’m not very tech savvy.
C5129965-7844-4805-86C4-297BE1A1893C.jpeg1239B133-7CBE-4DED-856C-4E281D54F61F.jpeg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
And here is where we stand.
D6DC3618-66AB-4A07-A77B-733D4EC12E00.jpeg
730B9F97-3ECA-4BA2-B985-8134FC893152.jpeg

My spectrapure order came today so I can change out all the canisters and membrane in my old RODI. So hopefully I’ll be making water soon.

And once again please excuse the messy kitchen. That will be a reoccurring theme with the tank placement…

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
It look beautiful! I wish you the best. Let me know how you like the lights. Never used LED. I have the Red Sea 160S sitting in a box sealed over a year now. Maybe I'll try it if you like it.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
It look beautiful! I wish you the best. Let me know how you like the lights. Never used LED. I have the Red Sea 160S sitting in a box sealed over a year now. Maybe I'll try it if you like it.
Thank you very much. I will definitely let you know. The app seems pretty straightforward as of now. Haven’t had a chance to connect the light to it yet, hoping tonight.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking it may really come in handy for organizing. But also think I can make something similar for much less.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking it may really come in handy for organizing. But also think I can make something similar for much less.

You already know the answer Kevin. Cmon. Customize sir