• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

LED Hanging Stand or Light Stand over Tank

Has anyone created a light stand to hand LEDs over the tank vs. hanging them from the Ceiling? I don't have permission to make holes in the celing.. lol... Yes sometimes she wears the pants.. lol

I am planning on creating one using plant hangers (straight brackets) from HD and using Aluminum poles. The poles will be drilled to the stand the hanger will be screwed on the poles.

Anyone done any DIY projects with this?

Closest I got was using conduit and bending them to hang over the tank, while attaching to the back of my stand. Worked rather well if you can get behind the tank to secure them, then just use eye bolts through conduit, you can even run the wires through depending how thick the cord is

I'm in the same situation. Wife said no holes in ceiling. I plan on using the legs off my Tek light fixture. I'll let you know how it goes

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Guys... check out Empire's build thread... has some nice stand fixtures he ordered

Conduit as in an aluminum tube, right?? Sorry just need to make sure... the kind used for electrical work.

Closest I got was using conduit and bending them to hang over the tank, while attaching to the back of my stand. Worked rather well if you can get behind the tank to secure them, then just use eye bolts through conduit, you can even run the wires through depending how thick the cord is

Everything can be found at HD or Lowes. One thing I would recommend is using 1/2 inch rigid tubing instead of 3/4 emt. The rigid tubing has thicker walls therefore will be stronger. Mine is working fine for months now, but it sags about a half inch with the light on it. Just for reference my light is 13 lbs.

Are you guys able to run the wires right through the tubing for a seamless look? And are the wires long enough?

Are you guys able to run the wires right through the tubing for a seamless look? And are the wires long enough?

I am planning on running the wire through it if it is going to be hollow.. why not, right? I am thinking as long as I can hide it until the top of the tank.. it won't be all over the place... and then have the wire tied to the hanging cables running to the light... so it will be a nice clean look.

Following along! Would love to see a finished product on the conduit stand and hidden wires...looking to get a reefbreeder myself to hang over my 60g cube but would prefer not to have to hang it from the ceiling.

Opinions???

I have white wall in the background.. should I spray paint the conduit white or black? The tank has a black background, the stand is black, the lights are black. I'm hoping the white conduit would blend in the background and the lights will look like they are floating in air.. lol

Opinions???

I have white wall in the background.. should I spray paint the conduit white or black? The tank has a black background, the stand is black, the lights are black. I'm hoping the white conduit would blend in the background and the lights will look like they are floating in air.. lol

I kind of like the architectural look of the pipe, but the float look sound nice too...tough choice.

Opinions???

Black, in my opinion white would look way out of place with a black tank.

Does anyone have a pipe bending tool? HD wanted $35 for a tool. :( I got the conduits.. I went with two 10' by 1/2". The 3/4" was too thick for my taste.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
null_zps47ea536e.jpg

Welded conduit

null_zpsfe7d6490.jpg

Wires are all run through