• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Legendary Reef Chemist Dr. Craig Bingman October 10th Manasquan NJ Elks and Frag Swap

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
We are pleased to announce our October Speaker and Member Frag Swap Event!! This is a save the date thread but also where we will be updating and adding information.

When: October 10th, 2015 12:00-5:00PM
Where: Manasquan NJ Elks Club
17 Stockton Lake Boulevard Manasquan, NJ 08736
Whom: Legendary Reef Chemist Dr. Craig Bingman Scientist at University of Wisconsin will headline the event.

Event includes a catered meal. $10 in advance and $15 at the door. Click here to purchased tickets.

Bring three frags and take three frags swap. Please no green star polyps, Xenia or Kenya tree.

Topic
"Water Testing, 1, 2, 3.What we care about, why we care and how we measure it."

Bio
As with many of us, Craig became interested in aquariums at a young age.His first aquarium, at age nine, was a 10 gallon metaframe freshwater tank, with an improbable mix of neon tetras and swordfish. Foreshadowing his future career and hobby interests, he was he found pH test kits and bottles of pH up and pH down to be nearly as interesting as the fish.Subsequently, he kept a variety of freshwater planted and marine systems.

Many years later, when he really should have been concentrating on his dissertation, he became very interested in the chemistry of reef aquariums, in particular, with calcification.While working at Columbia University, he met Terry Siegel and started writing for Aquarium Frontiers.Through an arc of dozens of articles, he explored calcification support, trace elements, autofluorescent pigments in marine organisms, and interactions between chemistry and aquarium light.Although his professional work as a biochemist and X-ray crystallographer keeps him quite busy, he maintains a keen interest in the chemistry of semi-closed aquarium systems.

RSVP Here

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Could someone fill me in on the timing for this event. I would like to attend and hear Craig....and eat....but won't be able to get there until about 1:30. Will I still be able to hear Craig and have a bite to eat? That is, when is he speaking and when is the food being served?

Thanks.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wish i could make it to meet some of the fellow reefers around NJ, kids picked the renaissance fair instead though, i was overruled.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul

We are still putting the details together. Craig won't go on before 1:30 and the food will be out until it's gone.

Bob

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just paid for myself and my wife!

Are there going to be any vendors selling at the swap too, or is it just a members swap thing? Just curious so I know what to expect.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Why can't I pay to attend this event??? I've repeatedly hit "pay," just to return to the pay page. It says paypal, put I chose to pay by credit card. Please help. I've repeatedly pressed pay...so I've might have paid a couple hundred dollars for my wife and I by now. What's up!

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Paul I check the PP account and I do not see a payment from you. I'm not sure why that is, most like something to do with PayPal. Reach out to Tommy maybe he can give you an alternative method of payment for the event.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul I check the PP account and I do not see a payment from you. I'm not sure why that is, most like something to do with PayPal. Reach out to Tommy maybe he can give you an alternative method of payment for the event.

I just did it using PayPal. For some reason it wouldn't accept credit card payment.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
it was very interesting . so many different aspect to water chemistry. Plus a frag swap .win win