• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Light in tank

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow Mark! Sorry to read this. Glad you and anyone in the house didn't get hurt. Be grateful it didn't hit the glass. I have a MarsAqua that is about 12" long you can borrow.

Can I ask...Was it this toggle bolt you use? I was planning on hanging my T5 above my tank using this.

1588015959838.png

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Wow Mark! Sorry to read this. Glad you and anyone in the house didn't get hurt. Be grateful it didn't hit the glass. I have a MarsAqua that is about 12" long you can borrow.

Can I ask...Was it this toggle bolt you use? I was planning on hanging my T5 above my tank using this.

View attachment 29106

Actually mine was different. Let me find a pic and post.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Best I could under the circumstances. Unfortunately, the led strip light is broke as only a few bulbs work. The 165w have at 100% for both channels.
My concern is an algae problem as other light was 300W and more coverage.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_172627.jpg
    IMG_20200427_172627.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 13

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Last pic is blue only.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_172603.jpg
    IMG_20200427_172603.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200427_174058.jpg
    IMG_20200427_174058.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200427_180043.jpg
    IMG_20200427_180043.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 12

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
For a broken led strip still pretty bright all by itself.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_203702.jpg
    IMG_20200427_203702.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 7

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have 3 hydra 26HDs over my tank. I can survive with 2 for a while.
Let me know if you need to borrow one for a few weeks/months, I'll pull it from the fixture tomorrow.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mark, appreciate that but let me see how this works for a few days. Plus a few other generous people offered spare lights they have. No need to take yours down.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

View attachment 29106
I use this toggle everywhere !!!!! It’s awesome. I have it over 3 expensive monitors. Holding 75 textbooks (really heavy). All on drywall not studs (the bsmt only uses aluminum/ steel stud — pretty useless)

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
So what is the difference between the one I purchased and the one that Mark used? Trying to understand why his failed?

I sit hear at 4am and wonder if it's worth all the aggregation and heartache anymore.
I heard a loud gurgling noise and then like a draw or something closed. I assumed wife couldn't sleep and was watching something in her laptop. Just to loud and was done. I roll over and she is sound asleep; I get up to see what that noise was and notice a horrible sight.
I see one side of the 300 watt VipraSpectre light is in my tank at this hour. I unplug everything take light out which was full of water, it's draining in the tub as I write this. The wall bracket came loose and pulled through the wall.
No idea what coral or fish were injured or if it put our any electric shock.
Needless to say extremely upset.

sorry buddy. the call of the aquarium is never fun particularly not at 4am. I had a light smoke up on me not at the fixture but in the outlet strip. definitely no fun trying to figure out where the smoke is coming from at that time.

if you can... pull all the GFI plugs you have and install a GFI/arc fault breaker on your circuit. GFI doesn't protect against fire, just electrocution. so really what you want is dual protection, because the arc fault will protect against a fire.

there's also an issue of having multiple GFI on a single circuit, will not offer protection if not installed in a specific way.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So what is the difference between the one I purchased and the one that Mark used? Trying to understand why his failed?

Diana, from what others posted seems you have to make sure you attach to a stud in the wall. I never touched my light so no idea why it took a little over a year for it give way. My guess is the condo gets damp during the winter where I could see condensation forming on the ceiling. Maybe that softened the sheet rock, I don't know. Used to get drips from ceiling but a new roof stopped that.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Well only channel 2 works, white, red n green leds.
There is still some condensation on cover. Having it outside drying.

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_160220.jpg
    IMG_20200502_160220.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 1

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Didin't know you were trying to salvage it. Problem is the saltwater, it corrodes solder.
If the salt water has been sitting inside it for this long, it will eventually kill the remaining circuts.
Best bet if this ever happens in the future is to run the fixture under tap water to flush it out.
Run it for a while till you're sure it's been thoroughly flushed.
Then dry it for two weeks, preferably in the sun with a fan pointed at it.
Was a military avionics tech in search and rescue helos. Anything that was compromised by salt water spray was dumped into a freshwater bath and dried out as above.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I never thought about salvaging it as I assumed was a goner.
Was curious if it would still work once dried out.

I didn't think about rinsing it as I thought more water equals more damage.

hi!!!
just checking now. Sorry to read that happen. I have this light that I wanted to trade. But you can come to pick up tomorrow any time if the spare doesn’t light up very good... just need lightbulbs
Metal halide hybrid
1588480924122.jpeg 1588480988481.jpeg