• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Light in tank

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I appreciate the offer.
I have a 165W spare if using with 2 strip lights.
So far seems to be working out.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So picked up the Orbit light in combo with 165W black box led.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_173839.jpg
    IMG_20200507_173839.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200507_183211.jpg
    IMG_20200507_183211.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 8

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Pic of tank with a small blue LED strip for night view.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_203005.jpg
    IMG_20200507_203005.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 0

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
A week ago I took the light apart and wiped it dry them let sit out in the sun and wind to dry further. Yesterday used a hair dryer to get any excess dirt out and put it together. Still only white lights work and one fan out of three. Now the digital display doesn't work so can not set time or intensity. The display worked before I took it apart. Was hoping to use the white lights and blue off the other. May try a timer.

I did buy a compact fixture to help supplement but having a hard time finding bulbs as these are bad.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The problem in having is the light was 300w. The other is 165W and compacts are 65W but need replacement. I noticed my goni Is not opening and some other soft corals. Assume the light is not enough to what they are used to.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A week ago I took the light apart and wiped it dry them let sit out in the sun and wind to dry further. Yesterday used a hair dryer to get any excess dirt out and put it together. Still only white lights work and one fan out of three. Now the digital display doesn't work so can not set time or intensity. The display worked before I took it apart. Was hoping to use the white lights and blue off the other. May try a timer.

Yeah, as said, salt water corrodes solder over time like Alien's blood. Best bet is if anything ever hits salt water again is to obviously unplug and if you can open it up do it immediately run any electronics boards under cold tap water for a minute or so, lightly (very lightly) rub the area with a sponge or paper towel or brush, rinse again, then air dry for a few days.
If its a desperate situation and/or you cant take the unit apart, run the entire unit under cold tap for a few minutes, just make sure that you give it a couple weeks to dry out.

Sciency stuff - saltatory conduction. If you put out holiday decor and use an extension cord, even if it gets rained on things are OK, but if a drop of saltwater from your tank hits a wall plug your fuse kicks in immediately. WIth freshwater there's no significant electron exchange as there's not many free ions running amok. With saltwater those little sodium (Na+) ions are revved up and ready to jump about and do damage, and even without current they'll still bond to lead, which makes up the majority of the solder on the circuit board. Flushing it with tap asap removes the high sodium ion concentration and prevents damage to the solder and wiring, then you just need to fully dry it out.

Last edited: