• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting opinions?

So new question.

Is it worth it to spend the extra money to buy a metal Halide light over a T5?

we were looking at a T5 but are now second guessing if it would be enough for coral/anemones.

We saw this on clearance on DR. F&S
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+19051&pcatid=19051

400$ for the light fixture for my tank. if it is good, will it cause to much heat?

Is that a good light? I found no reviews on it as of right now. It's an older model so all I'm finding are reviews on the new light.

What are other good lights for a good price?

Thanks for all the help in advance. - Dan

I agree. I am in the process of buying lights myself and have been hearing people say they have testimony that T5s can light mostly anything that metal halides can. The other thing is that the pc side of the unit is a downer compared to the advantages of T5.

If you are buying T5's the group buy discount along with free shipping from Premium Aquatics might worth the wait. (not sure when the next one is) I also learned that Gina's lighting was competitive with this with free shipping on most larger orders as well.

boontonbob said:
I agree. I am in the process of buying lights myself and have been hearing people say they have testimony that T5s can light mostly anything that metal halides can. The other thing is that the pc side of the unit is a downer compared to the advantages of T5.

If you are buying T5's the group buy discount along with free shipping from Premium Aquatics might worth the wait. (not sure when the next one is) I also learned that Gina's lighting was competitive with this with free shipping on most larger orders as well.

Me too, I am waiting till September going with the Tek lights I really don't want to invest in a chiller now too. Should be 360 with discount at 8x54, there are also the T5 on eBay that come from Catalina that are a bit cheaper good warranty.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
JRWOHLER said:
boontonbob said:

Me too, I am waiting till September going with the Tek lights I really don't want to invest in a chiller now too. Should be 360 with discount at 8x54, there are also the T5 on eBay that come from Catalina that are a bit cheaper good warranty.
I love my 8x54 from catalina bought mine through a reseller on ebay was cheaper than catalinas website.

You can find them on eBay cheaper as reefsandrotts points out. If you want the 8 bulb you will have to get the silver at the moment ;)I am wasting way to much time on equipment shopping.

You might also want to consider the reflector that comes with the light. I get more light out of my 4x 54w Tek retro than a friend of mine gets out of his 8x 54 coralife fixture. More bulbs doesn't really mean more light.

Catalina's reflectors say that they reflect 99.9% light so, according to that it has to be good. Do you think the light off ebay is still correct? should I go for it?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
ssm05rsx said:
we cant fit the 8 bulb, I'm confused on the 6 bulb from that dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-Aquarium-Lig...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

It has a different description then the one on the manufactures site.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1421

It doesn't have a picture,

They are the same fixture it's just catalina direct sets the lights up they sell for timers only,hence no switches.
TheGuyFromNJ said:
You might also want to consider the reflector that comes with the light. I get more light out of my 4x 54w Tek retro than a friend of mine gets out of his 8x 54 coralife fixture. More bulbs doesn't really mean more light.
The catalina lights whether it's 6,8,10 or 12 bulb all have independant reflectors it's not just 1 that is arched so you get optimal light from them.

thanks - Dan

Thanks for the response on the 6 bulb fixture.
Believe we are going to order the 6 bulb Catalina T5 tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!!

-Ralph

We'll let you know how it is and take some pics when its all setup. We ordered it earlier tonight. Now its the waiting game til it gets here.

-Ralph

i think it all has to do with what you want to grow, if its just softies and stuff like that, then i think t-5 should be fine, but if your going with clams and sps and even some anenomes, well in my opinion halides are the only way to go, but thats my opinion, if i took the halides out of my setup and went with t-5, i would have to put allot of bulbs up there to get 1200 watts of sunlight

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I run 8x54 T-5 on a 24" deep tank I have a 8" clam on the bottom as well as SPS and everythings happy and growing.I used to run halide before the T-5 and I see my corals look better under the T-5 and I have no heat issues.
This is only my opinion.

waynes reef said:
i think it all has to do with what you want to grow, if its just softies and stuff like that, then i think t-5 should be fine, but if your going with clams and sps and even some anenomes, well in my opinion halides are the only way to go, but thats my opinion, if i took the halides out of my setup and went with t-5, i would have to put allot of bulbs up there to get 1200 watts of sunlight

lights should be here soon, just received all our powerheads.

Another question for you guys, do you run open tanks with no lid? do yo recommend it? or get the glass covers for my 55. Or will it cause to much heat, kinda like the green house effect. Or the screen covers I saw somewhere.

Thanks - Dan

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Hey Dan
I would loose the glass covers.If you want to have something on top you can get egg crate from HD or lowes to keep fish from jumping.

ssm05rsx said:
lights should be here soon, just received all our powerheads.

Another question for you guys, do you run open tanks with no lid? do yo recommend it? or get the glass covers for my 55. Or will it cause to much heat, kinda like the green house effect. Or the screen covers I saw somewhere.

Thanks - Dan

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It all depends on what you want to keep. I keep no tops on my 180, just egg crate covering the back where it is open. On our 65 we have glass because we have an eel that would be a carpet surfer given the opportunity. The more likely your inhabitants are to escape the greater the need to increase the barrier between them and "freedom".

Anthias and wrasses are known jumpers and should never be kept in a tank without protection. They've been known to skillfully jump through egg crate. Clowns are puppy dogs that occassionally end up on the wrong side of the box and are unintentional jumpers when it does happen.

I've never seen a tang try to jump out of a tank. So it all depends on what animals you have, how big the tank is and your tolerance for the risk factor (my tolerance tends to decrease with the increase in the price of the fish ;D )

Lights came in today! very fast shipping from CA in like 3 days...

I think were going to use the egg crate for our tank, so clowns sometimes jump out through the egg crate?