• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Lighting opinions?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Clowns aren't so good at getting through egg crate. That's a wrasse/anthias trick. You should be ok with egg crate for the clowns.

Right now we arent exactly sure what we are putting in.
All that is set in stone is 2 clowns (likely species will be either tomato or clarkii - was warned by some friends to stay away from maroons cause they get super aggressive when they get older) and a bicolor blenny who is being moved from a previous tank.
I would love to get a dwarf fuzzy lionfish for the tank but im afraid he will chomp the blenny for lunch since he only gets to a max size of 4".
We were toying with ideas of maybe getting some sort of dwarf angel or an anthias or potentially a wrasse. But since the last 2 are jumpers they are definitely maybe's.

We are picking the clowns up tomorrow and putting them in our QT tank to rest and relax while we set up the 35 gal that im bringing home from my college apartment for the 2 blue devil damsels that are in the 55. (Not chancing the damsels and the clowns getting into a sparring match)

So im guessing we'll do egg crate now - and if we need a tougher cover we will look into glass covers.
Thanks for the advice Phyllis and reefsandrotts!

-Ralph

ssm05rsx said:
Right now we arent exactly sure what we are putting in.
All that is set in stone is 2 clowns (likely species will be either tomato or clarkii - was warned by some friends to stay away from maroons cause they get super aggressive when they get older) and a bicolor blenny who is being moved from a previous tank.
I would love to get a dwarf fuzzy lionfish for the tank but im afraid he will chomp the blenny for lunch since he only gets to a max size of 4".
We were toying with ideas of maybe getting some sort of dwarf angel or an anthias or potentially a wrasse. But since the last 2 are jumpers they are definitely maybe's.

We are picking the clowns up tomorrow and putting them in our QT tank to rest and relax while we set up the 35 gal that im bringing home from my college apartment for the 2 blue devil damsels that are in the 55. (Not chancing the damsels and the clowns getting into a sparring match)

So im guessing we'll do egg crate now - and if we need a tougher cover we will look into glass covers.
Thanks for the advice Phyllis and reefsandrotts!

-Ralph

If you want a dwarf lion, go for the Fu Man Chu dwarf lion. Max size of around 4 inches and the largest I one I ever saw definitely wasn't that big.

Oh cool. I'll have to look into that.
I saw that the zebra and fuzzy dwarf lions were 6-7" full grown and that was pretty disappointing.
Our LFS (Aquarium Center) had 3 Volitans and 2 Dwarf lions when we went to pick out our 2 Clarkii clownfish - the lions are even prettier in person. Such cool fish. Will definitely have to look into th FuManChu lion as an option for our tank. Thanks Jonathan.

As for the review on the Catalina 6bulb T5 light, so far so good with it. It is a really nice light. Cant say how coral would do under it yet though since we currently have no coral in the tank. I'm waiting on an RO/DI system before i make the plunge into coral.

-Ralph

Just keep in mind skimping on something in this hobby is like skimping on your wife or girlfriend. Sooner later it will cost you more, not to mention the pain or suffering you will recieve will have you crying, wishing you spent more.

That is great advice. We are really trying not to skimp this time and do everything right. Thats why we are being such a pain on this site asking you knowledgeable people as many questions as we can think of so we get the best products for our setup.
Wish i would have learned that sooner though, cause instead i learned the hard way... I already skimped on one product on my first saltwater tank - skimped on a protein skimmer. Got a Red Sea Prizm Deluxe rather than wait and save for a AquaC Remora or something comparable to that. While the Prizm is an ok skimmer it just needs constant fine-tuning and readjustment and never seems to be pulling that much gunk out of the water. Just wish i would have waited and got the better product first rather than wasting the money on the prizm....

-Ralph