• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Live rock hitchhikers

Just got some live rock in today with some less than desirable hitchhikers. Bobbits, pistol shrimp, some odd crabs and a peppermint shrimp. I may keep the peppermint. Free if anybody wants them. I'd hate to flush them as they're pretty cool but they aren't making the cut in my tank. Pickup brick 08723.
20211202_161715.jpg20211202_161705.jpg20211202_154025.jpg20211202_154022.jpg

Attachments

• 20211202_153828.jpg
    20211202_153828.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
There is still hope that there is a mantis in the rocks. Mine must have been so small that it had just been born when the rocks were collected. There was no sound for approx 3 month then the very faint clicking started. It wasn't until the rocks were in the tank for 7 months that I realized what it could be. Someone I know on R2R is trying to remove a mantis from her KP rocks too.

There is still hope that there is a mantis in the rocks. Mine must have been so small that it had just been born when the rocks were collected. There was no sound for approx 3 month then the very faint clicking started. It wasn't until the rocks were in the tank for 7 months that I realized what it could be. Someone I know on R2R is trying to remove a mantis from her KP rocks too.
I hear the 4 pistol shrimp I found clicking like crazy. I tossed them in my sump. I know there's plenty of stuff that is still in the rocks and I'm excited to see what comes out. I have a spare 20 gallon sitting around that I may grab a stand for tomorrow and set it up to observe. Right now I have the rock in a 5 gallon bucket with a heater and powerhead. I thought the delivery was coming next week based off kpa websites shipping schedule, then yesterday night i received a surprise email that my package shipped so I had zero time to get ready lol. All good though I can't complain about an earlier than expected delivery. They really did well with the packaging I seen minimal die off. It was a few starfish and some spaghetti worms from what I found.

Yes still available. I have the bobbits and crabs in a sandwich bag in the bucket with the live rock and I moved the 4 pistol shrimp to my sump for now so their separate from the worms. I'm not sure how long I can keep the eunice worms like this or if there's a better way to keep them temporarily. I also found a small gorilla Crab which is in with the worms.

Pending pickup. They have the white ring so they're bobbit worms. There is an oddball which is lighter in color so that may be a medusa or something else I'm not really sure.
Ok thats pretty cool! If something does happen or not all of the critters were picked up, I would like a crab if possible or really whatever is left at that point.