• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for a new T5

I am sold on T5 lighting over PC and MH. I am looking for a good 6 bulb T5 retro that will give good performance but not break the bank for a 90 reef with lps, sps, and clams.

A lfs offers a Hagan 6 bulb setup for $500 including bulbs, reflectors, ballast, caps, and standoffs.
On ebay there are a few ppl selling the Tek lighting, but I haven't heard any good or bad about that brand.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to a decent retro kit? I am not looking for icecaps, I don't think I need that much light.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

I am leaning towards the Tek retro w/ the Tek II reflectors.

Also what configuration and brand of bulbs would be best for growth?

54w T5 HO 48" Actinic Plus Lamp

54w T5 HO 48" Aqua Blue Plus Lamp

54w T5 HO 48" Midday Lamp

54w T5 HO 48" Pure Actinic Lamp

Sunlight Supply is one of the better brands out there, they were one of the first company's to come out with the T5 lighting. As far as the bulbs I'd replace the midday with the GE 6500K

TEK is a very good brand. Not much below Ice Cap and less expensive. As far as bulb layout, that's personal prefference. You'll probably end up going through a bunch of bulbs until you find a combo that you like.

Tek lighting is made by Sunlight supply, whether it's above or below ice cap is also a mater of opinion, you wouldn't go wrong with either brand, but I personally do not like overdriving the T5's like you do with ice cap ballasts, you definitely would need a fan or 2. With the Tek lighting no fan is needed, I've been using Sunlight supply products for years and have been very happy.

The best advise I could give you when it comes to bulbs is go see them in person, check out a couple of people's tanks that use them or in a stores, then if you like the way the tank looks ask which bulbs they are using. :)

I personally like giesemann over the others but URI and GE also makes decent bulbs

my light has a mix of Giesemann and GE

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's no manufacturer name on it. I'd like to know who the manufacturer is.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That looks a lot like one a bought off E-bay some years ago. The seller name isn't the same, but he uses the same spelling of the word "chord". It's not music class! ;D

Long story short, it caught on fire...thankfully I was home and watched it happen so I could put the fire out.

You know all this talk of fire and the lighting on these tanks makes me very nervous. feel ill need a Halon system for this 265 i'm putting together. I think this needs to be addressed by someone.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
I currently own 2 fixtures made by them,I have a 4x96 pc that is about 3-4 years old now
no problems with it.They also make my new 8x54 T-5 system no problems wit this one as well.The seller listed is only a broker for catalina aquarium any questions about the fixture you contact Jim directly at catalina.

If you like it go for it.

Just want to point out though, the fixture has 8 bulbs and is only 9" wide. What type of reflectors does it have? Tek or Ice Cap reflectors are just under 3" wide each. You would need a 24" wide fixture to accomodate 8 bulbs with high quality individual reflectors. For me anyway, the best thing about T5's is the amount of light you can get out of them using a good reflector. Without quality reflectors, T5's don't impress me much.

I just don't want to see you buy a fixture you will be disapointed in and end up starting over with a Tek or IceCap retro setup. It's cheaper to do it right the first time. Trying to save money cost me alot of money in this hobby.

sgarron said:

Just want to point out though, the fixture has 8 bulbs and is only 9" wide. What type of reflectors does it have? Tek or Ice Cap reflectors are just under 3" wide each. You would need a 24" wide fixture to accomodate 8 bulbs with high quality individual reflectors. For me anyway, the best thing about T5's is the amount of light you can get out of them using a good reflector. Without quality reflectors, T5's don't impress me much.

I just don't want to see you buy a fixture you will be disapointed in and end up starting over with a Tek or IceCap retro setup. It's cheaper to do it right the first time. Trying to save money cost me alot of money in this hobby.

You make a great point. "save money by not trying to save money". I guess I will go with the T-5 from TFJ. I would like to get 6 bulbs under the canopy, but I only have 16" to work with. :'( I am sure I can make something fit.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
sgarron said:

The fixture I have has 8 individual reflectors and casts the light complete across my 120 (24" wide)

I saw someone here had a really nice T5 light "Constantine?" I sent the website to my home I will paste the link here later was very nice and good price. The one thing I saw pointed out before on the eBay listing is they are 5 year warranty so that is good too.