• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Looking for a new T5

I bought 2 kits, 3rd to come when budget allows.

The 4 bulbs I went with:

ge 6500
giesemann aqua blue
giesemann pure actinic
ge 6500

I will probably go with the giesemann actinic + for the next 2 bulbs.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You're going with 4 actinics and only 2 daylight bulbs? It should be the othet way around. The tank will show nice but I don't think you'll get much growth if you have sps.

Bob

I will be getting the 3rd fixture this week, for 2 more bulbs. What do you recommend? Maybe 2 more 6500k?

This is the info I was using:

ATI German T5 HO Sun Full Spectrum 6500K: ideally suited to full spectrum use for growth of SPS and also works great when used in a 1:1 ratio with either the Actinic, or Blue supplementary lamps.
ATI German T5 True Actinic: spikes at 420 nanometers for ultimate fluorescence of capable corals. Use in a 1:1 ratio with either the Sun Full Spectrum 6500K or Blue supplementary lamps.
ATI German Aquablue Full Spectrum 11,000K: has 60% Actinic and 40% white spectrum. The color temperature is approx. 11,000K crisp color as a stand-alone lamp. The aquablue is ideally suited to be used as a standalone, or when used in a 2:1 or 3:1 fashion with Blue or Actinic lamps.

Well it is in and shinning bright, but more yellow then I would like it. I think the 2x 6500k bulbs are doing it. I actually like the color coming from the giesemann aqua blue the best.

Note to others, if you go with the Tek retro, buy some wire. They made the wires so all the ballasts have to be mounted center. My canopy is only 6" high, cant mount 3 3"x7" ballasts in the same place, so I have to patch the wire some for the 2nd, and I will have to patch more for the 3rd.

If they just spent another $1 the retro would have been so much easier. You would expect with a 48" fixture the wires would be about 6' long to go from the back of the canopy to the inside then to the front.

Still haven't decided on the last to bulbs. I am looking for an even balance of growth and color. I see they make lights in 10k, 11k, 12k, 15k, 20k.

On the tank already I have:
ge 6500
giesemann aqua blue
giesemann pure actinic
ge 6500

What is the recommendation for the final 2 bulbs?

Keep in mind I am trying to make it look as white as possible, but color and growth of the corals is the top priority.

Thanks in advance

TheGuyFromNJ said:
Still haven't decided on the last to bulbs. I am looking for an even balance of growth and color. I see they make lights in 10k, 11k, 12k, 15k, 20k.

On the tank already I have:
ge 6500
giesemann aqua blue
giesemann pure actinic
ge 6500

What is the recommendation for the final 2 bulbs?

Keep in mind I am trying to make it look as white as possible, but color and growth of the corals is the top priority.

Thanks in advance

definitely go with the actinic + bulbs, the aqua blue is a 12K daylight bulb, that with the GE's are giving you the yellow color, you need a couple of actinic's (blue) bulbs to even out the color.