• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

lost it all...........heart is broken

well thanks to Irene i lost the entire tank....no power for 5 days and was evacuated for 2 of them..
lost all the corals and fish....cant even begin to clean it up...just cant deal with the loss

gonna try to do something tomorrow...hope something may survive ..even if it just a few polyps

how did everyone else make out?

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear...I too lost some stuff, but still not sure of the extent. Power out for 66 hrs and the smell of death just left the house. There were many people willing to help, but really nothing to do. I will rebuild if I have to! Hope you do the same....If I have anything when you are ready, you are welcome to some frags

Albie,
sorry for your loss.
I'm sure people here will help you to recover.
Get your tank ready(cycled, steady ) and ask for donations.
I don't have much (new tank), but can share some zoas, mushrooms, kenya trees,cheato.

i too will rebuild just cant stand loosing everything....if it was only a fish or two it would be easier to handle.
and i know what you mean about the smell of death...house smells horrible.

thanks for the offer....maybe we will both get lucky and something will make it through....if so maybe we can help eachother out

Sorry to hear that albie. I remember that disgusting smell of death when I came bad from a vacation once. Got some frags when you're ready.

thanks greg...got to get things cleaned and back to normal first...gonna take a while befor im ready but i am greatful for the offer

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Another sad story compliments of Irene. :(

I know that smell also from helping mboddell clean up his misfortune.

We should start a hurricane Irene relief thread to help those with losses rebuild their tank!

I lost power as well but I had a few Air battery pumps and a used UPS 1500watt powersupply that powered 1 Koralia Evolution 3 for almost 2 days. I pointed it at the surface and also moved it around the tank every few hours. You can Purchase UPS backup powersupplies on craigslist for as cheap as 30/40 dollars. Keep a Few charged here and there and you have instant batteries that last for quite sometime as long as the electrical pump draw is small.

Tragedies like these are reasons that I always hoped to have reefer buddies nearby that I could literally FRAG AND BANK my corals with them. The way it works is that

Say you (BuddyA) have 4 Corals your Buddy (B) has 2 corals and your Buddy (C) has 2 Corals

You Frag all 4 of your corals twice and give 4 Pieces to BuddyB and 4 Pieces to BuddyC
BuddyA(4) BuddyB(6) BuddyC(6)

Buddy B and C both Frag their Corals and give them to Each Buddy. BuddyA (8) BuddyB (8) BuddyC (8)

Corals Birth and Lineage are tracked on your "Insurance Thread"

No money has exchanged hands AT ALL. Each of the 3 Buddies have reviewed each other's tanks and husbandry methods and relative success of corals. Each of the 3 Buddies have received brand new corals FREE.

Disaster Recovery:

BuddyA has a huge poweroutage, tank cracked, and a Rabid Ninja killed all of his corals. Devastated.... But then he remembers his insurance policy at both BuddyB and BuddyC - Within 1 week a few beers and lots of plastic bags BuddyA has replaced every coral in his tank without spending a DIME. They will be smaller true.. but Its just another reason to redo your placement.

Yeah it is devastating at least you can just drain your system and start cycling again. Speaking from experience it could be worse.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Sorry to hear about your tank.

Asonitez, I believe that was the intent of "Don't Break the Chain".

Sorry to hear about the losses. If any of you guys get down cape may way I'd be happy to help out with some frags

i see you're in the highlands im in Union Beach for now, I can cut you some green hulk poly's and some waving xenia when you're ready... i'm new to the boards but want to contribute any way i can.. sorry for the loss

I can remember that smell to this day. Back in 1995 or 6 after a power outage and my Bat backup died, I lost it all. Went to work came back, opened the door and the smell was one to remember. 200+ tank, 4k in live stock all dead. :( Anyway I am really sorry for your loss.. Its a horrible feeling and really not your fault.

Hope you restart soon. Seems like a lot of people want to help you rebuild

thanks for all the kindness everyone...it realy does show how great this club is....i did (2) 75% waterchanges and i am thinking of all the rockwork...when im ready to restock i might take some of you up on the offers......thanks again.....happy reefing to you all.......................al

I'm so sorry to hear that. I lost pretty much everything to power outages to - i was evacuated so i wasn't on hand to set up the battery air pump. So I know how heartbreaking it is. I hope you're starting to feel better about it.

Good luck with the rebuild. I ended up scraping all of my rock and sand and keeping the few polpys that survived in a bare-bones 10 gallon, so it really is like starting over from scratch.

This whole thing is seriously crazy. Who would have though Jersey of all places would be hit like this?

Hey sorry about your losses....I saw your post but felt crappy that my tank is not in super shape either so not sure how much I can give you. Once you are up and running let me know.