• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

lowering baffles for new skimmer

I'm getting new skimmer soon(Super reef octo 3000 INT). The manufacturer recommends a water level around 6.5'. My baffles on both sides of the sump are are 9' high. I know the first thought is to raise the skimmer but i dont have alot of excess room under the tank as the skimmer is 24' so im considering cutting the baffles. That said, do i need to also cut the baffles on the other side of the sump? my sump is set up with the return pump in the middle and drain lines on the sides. thanks

Pete

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If I understand your sump setup correctly, NO, you only need to cut down the baffle between the skimmer section and return section. The other section on the opposite side will just cascade (waterfall) over the “high” baffle into the return section. Just watch for excess microbubbles.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In the actual instructions, available for download on their website, it says "The water level in the sump should be 6-10" as long as its not covering the water outlet." I think 6-6.5" is just a typo on their website. All the reef octo skimmers say 6-10" and not covering the outlet.

i agree with themosts....int he manual it does clearly state "5. Put the skimmer in sump and plug it in. Water level in sump should be 6”-10” as long as
it is not covering the water outlet. Turn the gate valve to adjust the water level inside the
skimmer. The water level inside the skimmer should be an inch below the collar or top of
the chamber for the initial setup."

i agree with themosts....int he manual it does clearly state "5. Put the skimmer in sump and plug it in. Water level in sump should be 6”-10” as long as
it is not covering the water outlet. Turn the gate valve to adjust the water level inside the
skimmer. The water level inside the skimmer should be an inch below the collar or top of
the chamber for the initial setup."
I agree with you regarding what the manual states though the folks at Coravue did say they consider the 6.5' water level for "optimal performance". So I'll try first without cutting the baffles and try to raise it as much as possible . If performance is not great , then I'll cut the baffles. thanks

Pete

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea, I'd see how it goes without making any cuts. If you're not happy with the performance and can't raise the skimmer any more, then you can cut the baffle down.

This may require you taking the whole baffle out, cutting it down, then re-installing it... so your sump will be offline while you do it. Is your baffle acrylic or glass?

It may be a better option to have a new piece cut/made to the proper size ahead of time, then just remove the old one and put the new one in. Less down time that way. And, if I may make a suggestion, try using black or a dark color acrylic instead of clear. That will block any light from your fuge section from entering your skimmer. Helps keep algae from growing on the body of it.

Yea, I'd see how it goes without making any cuts. If you're not happy with the performance and can't raise the skimmer any more, then you can cut the baffle down.

This may require you taking the whole baffle out, cutting it down, then re-installing it... so your sump will be offline while you do it. Is your baffle acrylic or glass?

It may be a better option to have a new piece cut/made to the proper size ahead of time, then just remove the old one and put the new one in. Less down time that way. And, if I may make a suggestion, try using black or a dark color acrylic instead of clear. That will block any light from your fuge section from entering your skimmer. Helps keep algae from growing on the body of it.

My baffles are glass. Thats a good idea to have them precut but don't I have to let the silicone sit for at least 24 hours before wetting? Btw I have an extra 40g breeder(no baffles) which I can use as a temp sump until the new baffles are ready. Thanks