• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

macro algaes and plants

Some people like the look of plants and the diversity that macros can add to a reef.
The red is spectacular and non evasive, I have had a more then a few requests for cuttings, that I made a am growing out a few extra. As per it does not lock up and export nutrients as well, I would have to see the study on that. Any macro that grows well will serve that purpose. Cheato and caulerpa, because they are invasive should be kept in the sump.
Nice Bill!

borneman or calfo or one of those guys measured the nutrient export per different algaes and claimed that chaeto was far superior in that situation.
i don't care to find the article, but it's out there.
i never said they don't remove any nutrients, it's just less...like mangroves.
meanwhile, my opinion is to remove anything that competes with corals for essential elements. in our quest to keep parameters like calcium replenished, and in check, i don't understand the point of the halimeda. you can enjoy plants if you like, but i don't fine plain green plants worth my time and effort.
;)

mr_X said:
i don't understand the point of the halimeda. you can enjoy plants if you like, but i don't fine plain green plants worth my time and effort.
;)

It's all a matter of taste. For some their tanks are the ultimate techno/science project. For me it's all about what I like to look at. (And lately, that's less and less posts on forums!)

I weeded while singing "I'm a lumberjack and I don't care"

I thought about getting getting some of the halimeda from him...you must have been pulling the stuff out both hands.

JRWOHLER said:
I weeded while singing "I'm a lumberjack and I don't care"

I thought about getting getting some of the halimeda from him...you must have been pulling the stuff out both hands.

where will you place it??! lol... ;D

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lisa said:
A Tang may help get rid of it from the rocks?

Ok, In the nicest possible way...I have to ask. Are you even following along with this thread? 90% of it is about adding a macro algae to the tank, not removing it.

Whitebird1 said:
I plan on giving this out for free, the good will works for me.
i trade it in for credit at a few local stores, and when they have too much to accept more, i give it away too. i was just making a joke about the rediculous price.

Brian said:
Lisa said:
A Tang may help get rid of it from the rocks?

Ok, In the nicest possible way...I have to ask. Are you even following along with this thread? 90% of it is about adding a macro algae to the tank, not removing it.

Thanks for the website! LMAO!!!