• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Majestic rescue

If you don't know by now,I love Angels. Came across a sick Majestic a couple hours ago. Both eyes are clouded over, but he eats like a champ. Not sure how he see's food, but he does. I couldn't let this guy suffer the way he was. So with the threat of bodily harm he was given to me. At present he's in a 55 with Cupramine where he'll stay for a couple weeks, from there into a 75 with Formaline and Malachite Green for a month. I've cured a lot a fish over the years, but never had one with this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Majestic 003.jpgMajestic 004.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
Wow, that's terrible. I think that you're doing the best you can for it. I would imagine that the Formalin and Malachite would be the ones that might help. Sounds like it may be bacterial or maybe even fungal. Time and good food goes a long way to clearing up a lot of things. I'm sure that it will have more than enough of both. The best of luck to you and your new fish!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it is bacterial I would treat with Furan 2. Most LFS carry it, just dose according to package directions. It is an antibiotic so you will have to treat in a hospital tank.

Been sitting here having a Yuengling with my new friend for the past few hours and it seems he's got a Crypto infection, the eye cloud is probably a secondary bacterial infection. Did not see any signs of it before, so I need to stop that first. He took a 5 minute fresh dip well, and he's still eating. Would like to test him in the reef in a couple months, might need to juggle some Angels around now that I have 8 of them. Would you use the Furan 2 instead of the Formalin/Malachite combo or before?

Have you ever tried wonder shells? You just drop them in. there medicated ones have the malachite in then and it slowly releases them into the water. The regular medicated ones have copper in them but they also have saltwater ones that doesn't have the copper. This would be good to Judy leave in the tank and then still treat with the other stuff. I've used these in my freshwater tank.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/MedicatedWonderShell.html

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've heard great results from using Melafix for treating eye symptoms and bacterial related issues.

Never tried it before but I have some just in case.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FW dips will do nothing for bacterial infections, they are used to treat parasites. Formalin/Malachite also will do nothing for bacterial infections. They may clear up the symptoms but not kill the infection. Only an antibiotic treatment will kill off the bacteria causing the infection. But it must be done in a hospital tank and not a cycled tank as it will kill off all bacteria both good and bad.

If you decide to use the Furan 2 you will need to do daily water changes in order to keep the ammonia in check.

You said he tolerated a 5 minute FW dip fine, was there any thrashing or reaction at all? The reason I ask is because if he just sat there and did nothing then most likely it isn't a crypto infection since crypto is a SW parasite and would have exploded from not being able to osmoregulate to the FW dip. This would cause the fish to thrash around from the discomfort of the parasites exploding.

Last edited:
He most definitely thrashed, which is what I expect when crypto starts popping from his gills. I have 2 QT's setup, the 55 he's in is new salt with 25% daily changes, I did use Melafix last night as it was the only thing I had on hand. As of tonight, the right eye is clear, the left eye is more opaque than last night but noticeably smaller. Gonna give it another day and take it from there. Thanks for the input from all of you. The boy does have an attitude, from the right side. Hopefully I'll get attitude from both sides.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hope the Angel is doing ok.(?)

I stopped into Precious Pets on corner of Somerdale Rd & Rte 30, Somerdale (not far from Cherry Hill) and although it's not a very good SW fish store, they had an entire row of treatments for fresh and saltwater fish. It's funny, I was thinking of you and your Angel when I noticed the treatments, so I walked the entire row to see what they have. They carry Melafix, Pimafix, Furan, etc. They had all kinds of treatments on the shelf, so just letting you know if you need any in a pinch.