• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Managing Nitrates

Good Morning,

I'm looking for some help managing nitrates. Currently my readings are between 20-30 according to red sea kits. I do about 25% water changes every four weeks. I really do not want to increase the frequency of these changes. I've thought of adding abio pellet reactor but I am running out of room in the first stage of the sump. I do already have a reactor running GFO. I've also read about carbon dosing. Any advice?
120g
30g Sump/refugium
Ecotech Radions 15w Pro
Tunze DOC 9410
PhosBan Reactor 550 running gfo
Mag 9.5
2x Koralia pumps 1500
jebao rw8 wavemaker

Salinity:1.025
PH:8.1
Nitrate: 30
Phosphate: .01ppm
Magnesium: 1450
Calcium: 450
DKH:9.8

Stock:
2 Ocelaris Clowns
2 Clarki Clows
Hippo Tang
Sailfin Tang

Mixed Coral

Are you heavy feeding? Based on your stock list, I would say no, but if you are, an algae scrubber might help.

The easiest thing to try, without having to add any equipment, would be to use some form of carbon source, i.e. vodka or vinegar. Here and here are good articles if you haven't already seen them. What are you using to measure your PO4? If it's as low as your post indicates, you may want to take the GFO off line while you try this method, since it may be limiting the amount of PO4 needed for this to work. I have successfully used both vodka and vinegar, but ultimately went to a BP reactor, since the daily dosing, and frequent testing needed for the liquid form became a nuisance.

There are a few ways of doing this , there is the natureef method which takes a little time and effort to keep running or a sulfur reactor. There are articles of both on the sight.
Hope his helps.