• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mickey's Reef

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
i have a lower flow on my 125 right now and it just doesnt do a good job of skimming the display even with a gyrepushing the top water towards the weir.

It’s more important to get flow in the tank. With multiple pumps. I would leave the corner over flow the way they are. I would setup two return pumps.
One on each side. Or one big return that can handle
The pressure. The corner over flow on that 300 are perfect for that size tank.

i would if it was going against a wall. originally we were going to do a freestanding tank, something you could completely walk around. thats why center weir does make some sense, but i want to be able to see through form one room to the next so maybe we will go with external and just have 3 viewable sides.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have the same tank just 220.
I have it between two rooms.
You can frame the back side and make that a view to one room. Then the front of the tank will be viewable in the other room and depending where you put it you will also have a view in both sides panels.

I wouldn’t touch the corner over flow I would leave them they way the tank came. Drilling new holes is not a good idea.

Look at this guys tank. He placed it in between room. He has the same type of tank and he is able to use both sides for viewing

Last edited:

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I personally would drill it on the side that is closest to the wall and has the worst viewing angle and get an overflow from modular marine. To run full syphon. My tank is completely silent, you’ll never get that from a stand pipe, they will up size your bulkheads to match your needs excellent product or build your own it’s really pretty easy. The weir is the hardest part. Have to use a router and make a jig, I have done it before

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I personally would drill it and get an overflow from modular marine. To run full syphon. My tank is completely silent, you’ll never get that from a stand pipe, they will up size your bulkheads to match your needs excellent product or build your own it’s really pretty easy. The weir is the hardest part. Have to use a router and make a jig, I have done it before
image.jpg

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member

This is very nice but it’s not the same thing.
The glass on the 300 is very thick. Its already drilled
So he would have to close those holes.
Drilling that 300 gallon tank is not easy. (1/2 inch glass)
I touched that glass and I know I wouldn’t even think about drilling a tank that big. The owner also said he had the tank for 9yrs. So I would leave the tank they way it is and make it work the space.
It’s better to go with the flow.

My tanks all have that type of drain and they don’t
Make any noise. I have a dc returns so I can adjust the flow. I also have valves so I can set it perfect.

Last edited:

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
This is very nice but it’s not the same thing.
The glass on the 300 is very thick. Its already drilled
So he would have to close those holes.
Drilling that 300 gallon tank is not easy.
I touched that glass and I know I wouldn’t even think about drilling a tank that big. The owner also said he had the tank for 9yrs. So I would leave the tank they way it is and make it work the space.
It’s better to go with the flow.

My tanks all have that type of drain and they don’t
Make any noise. I have a dc returns so I can adjust the flow. I also have valves so I can set it perfect.
I guess it’s the old saying, to each his own.
I personally have zero fear drilling any tank as long as it is not tempered. As far as filling the old holes this is simple either plug the old bulkheads with a screw in cap or silicone glass on top of the hole inside the tank. The bulkhead cap is a lower profile option being if I were to cover the hole with silicone and glass it would be at least 1/2” thick. Anyway you slice it this is a really nice build.

i was looking at the MM over on ebay earlier today. did you have a 4th pipe installed on that external box?

not drilling is preferable, but i am nervous to run it without the weir and keeping the weirs as is isnt an option unless its maybe in the middle of the tank and that does block the view through and disturb the water flow. the only thing i can think of is a closed loop type of sump but that doesnt exist really. it could be done with valves but how do you open it up for service and really it doesnt solve the leaky bulkhead scenario

my wife is already objecting to the external box, she wants to go with the standpipe no weir idea, im just thinking what happens down the line when a bulkhead decides to get leaky or a rock falls on the standpipe.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
i was looking at the MM over on ebay earlier today. did you have a 4th pipe installed on that external box?

not drilling is preferable, but i am nervous to run it without the weir and keeping the weirs as is isnt an option unless its maybe in the middle of the tank and that does block the view through and disturb the water flow. the only thing i can think of is a closed loop type of sump but that doesnt exist really. it could be done with valves but how do you open it up for service and really it doesnt solve the leaky bulkhead scenario

my wife is already objecting to the external box, she wants to go with the standpipe no weir idea, im just thinking what happens down the line when a bulkhead decides to get leaky or a rock falls on the standpipe.
Yea I drilled a 4th hole in my overflow as It stands right now I have one 1 inch fully submerged Adjustable pipe, One 1” image.jpgoverflow pipe, and two emergency drains the emergency drains are three-quarter

Salted

NJRC Member
Hey Mike, how about replacing the black plastic weirs with clear acrylic? You could use the old ones as a form. Put the acrylic sheet in the oven and once it's pliable lay it over the original. Do clear piping too.

yeah i was also thinking i could use the existing holes as closed loop flow? maybe i will go with just the standpipes. am i being paranoid? i guess the closed loop is a bit old school but there were a lot of tanks that ran that way.. i didnt know they had clear pipes, thats pretty cool.

Salted

NJRC Member

Just a small sample from a quick google but yeah clear tubing is readily available.

finally got my office stuff out of the room where the tank is going. it's ready for painting. It will need two or three coats of primer. then I'll lay down celling white and antique white on the walls. last the carpets will get ripped out and I'll lay down an epoxy floor. so no smoking in my house when we have a meet here.

I also took a peek under the carpet. I knew there was a concrete floor but I didn't know what to expect. this house was built in 54 and a few of the rooms weren't part of the interior originally - hence the concrete floor - must have been a sunroom or maybe just deck at one point. the big thing is I was hoping there wasn't any major structural problems as that means I'm going to have to cut a 4x7 hole in the concrete, get some fill tamped down and pour a 4" slab. :( man oh man this is a fckn project!

No cracks! yeahhhhh! I won't bs you though. I'm positive that some fill has eroded, being so close to water and Sandy having flooded the lower front room... but I did have a 200+ gallon tank in this room and upon inspection of where it stood, I can say no damage. and as I see no major structural integrity problems i.e. cracks, where the new tank is going to sit - which is incidentally 12 inches wider. I feel good about just moving forward with the build.

this is basically where it's going. might move a few inches but that's kinda it there. The wall with the doors is going bye bye but thats later after painting.

yes she is bending over and making farting sounds with her mouth. she is two. this is because I told her to move her ass out of the picture and that's what I got.

front room that leads into next room where tank will be. painted but trim isn't done and floors aren't done. will also be epoxy. me I wanted big marble like tile in front room and stamped concrete in tank room but I was outvoted. btw only two people voted, me being one and I still lost the vote. you figure it out.

my little mermaid.

Attachments

• 20210208_180619.jpg
    20210208_180619.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20210208_182927.jpg
    20210208_182927.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210208_182844.jpg
    20210208_182844.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210208_183845.jpg
    20210208_183845.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210208_144555.jpg
    20210208_144555.jpg
    974.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
going to start painting the room tomorrow but the stand is really full of salt. we started cleaning it and I'm worried about painting it. what should I use to really get the salt out or at least get the surface ready for painting.

I'm thinking denatured alcohol?

I'll have to replace that inner panel on the left

Attachments

• 20210210_091736.jpg
    20210210_091736.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 20210210_091755.jpg
    20210210_091755.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 20210210_091804.jpg
    20210210_091804.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Funny thing my during conference calls people hear the water before my video pops up and they know its me from the noise. The tank does make noise but I don't think its much or I am just used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.