• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Mickey's Reef

Salted

NJRC Member
i got into prepping the stand for primer and ive decided to build a new one. doesnt make sense to brace up the old one and probably not even possible. i will save a few pieces of trim and maybe the doors (probably the doors are too small) to keep the good juju but im open to design ideas. right now im thinking a doubled up 2x6 design for top, bottom frames, legs and braces. extras i am considering are 4x4 legs and 12" ledges along the long sides

if i build a taller stand i can also get a taller sump in but im not positive i would use a bigger sump. anyway i'll have the option of adding it down the line
A ledge would be a nice place to sit our beers. As far as height, taller is nice for accommodating a taller skimmer and give you room to work. How will the tank be being viewed most of the time? If seated shorter might be better. I wish I'd gone shorter on mine I like to kind of look down into the tank across the bottom. Otoh if I'd gone more than 2 or 3 inches shorter I'd have screwed myself and made it very hard to get the skimmer cup off. Since you're doing a 2x6 frame you're loosing all that height if you put a bottom shelf in. Maybe leave the bottom open and put the sump right on the floor.

A ledge would be a nice place to sit our beers. As far as height, taller is nice for accommodating a taller skimmer and give you room to work. How will the tank be being viewed most of the time? If seated shorter might be better. I wish I'd gone shorter on mine I like to kind of look down into the tank across the bottom. Otoh if I'd gone more than 2 or 3 inches shorter I'd have screwed myself and made it very hard to get the skimmer cup off. Since you're doing a 2x6 frame you're loosing all that height if you put a bottom shelf in. Maybe leave the bottom open and put the sump right on the floor.
yesh will be going with double skimmers, one ni the sump and one in a 10g that i will connect to the sump

ok made a decision on the overflow box, modularmarine is $300+ for my tank maybe like 400, idk cause his store is shut down. probably has a lot of backorders. i already have a marine depot large elite overflow box. i used a calculator online and figured out that this box has 1440 gph, so for like another 125 im going to order a second one and have 2880 gph turnover, not a bad solution for 200-250. saw the modularmarine 1800gph for 200+tax+shipping on ebay. that and ive been trying to sell it and no takers. so i think its a win win for me. i should be able to get 8-9x turn over with this. plumbing will be a bit of a pain but i'll just combine some of the drains and have a spare drain if i ever want to install uv or something