• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

my damsel is going after all my fish

i set up my biocube about 2 moth ago and put a yellow tail damsel to cycle the tank.as i added more fish to the tank he is being agressive to all of them.i need to get him out of the tank!!! does any body have an idea how can i get rid of him???

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You can always try and give him back to a fish store, they are not a fish that mellows with age and will continue this behavior if you leave him in. We normally try to catch fish when they are eating, if you can't pull everything out and just grab him. Might be a pain in the rear, but you don't want to leave him in there.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree with mnat, you need to get him out of there ASAP. During feeding is your best bet to catch him.

Sump is best choice if you plan on keeping him, LFS or a friend is second best option.

This is not a shot at you dave83, but more like info for others who might read this thread... A damsel or any other aggressive to semi-aggressive fish is not a good choice to cycle a new tank. This a problem because when they are the first inhabitants and are alone for a while, they sort of claim the entire tank as their territory. It's only natural for them to pick on new fish that come into their space.

Damsels and the like can be added to established tanks where non-aggressive fish are already living without too much trouble. The reason it works this way is because the damsel (or whatever) is entering new, unfamiliar surroundings and worries more about survival than domination. They tend to find out there is a dominant (although non-aggressive) fish already there, which gives the existing fish a better chance at remaining in their favorite area. The new fish learns to respect the existing fishes space(s) because it get's used to them being where they usually are.

Basically, it's better to add more aggressive fish in later or last if possible.