• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My first tank

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Hey guys sorry life has been kicking my butt with physical therapy for my hand it makes typing and simple stuff a pain. But let me give you an update on the tank.

The tank is 58gal oceanic. I believe this model is discontinued. I did not drill the back glass. I only did this because I found conflicting information on the ability to drill the tank or not. So I played it safe I have purchased a hob overflow and plan on going that route( I know about the problems and consequences that comes with this method currently it’s what I can do and afford) the tank has about 60 lbs of dry and live rock from my previous tank. I didn’t transfer the sand over one it was white and I was going with black sand but more so I didn’t want to stir up anything. 20lbs of live black sand and an arm and leg of reef cement and putty hahah. Other then that I have my heater and a aquaon 70 filter on it until I get a sump and get that going I have a 2 powerheads and a wave maker. I test frequently like sometimes a little to much but my levels are low and my corals are thriving in the new tank
e0ce85e71d7ba8a35b414d617c096243.jpg
8795be52c25b1af344d2175594a827af.jpg
874ddb9d1f1ad9609d9db5bd245c14e1.jpg

If anyone can help me with sump help or pluming let me know I’m kinda of hands on learner so if I see it I can understand. Thanks to everyone on here you guys are always helpful and friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you ever decide to drill. There are dozens of sites that show you how to tell if your glass is tempered. Basically you just need polarized sun glasses and a phone or laptop. Super simple and does work. It showed me what I could and could not drill. And drilling glass is super simple with the right tools. Anyone can do it. Only “trick” is go slow and let the drill do the work.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
First of all great pics. Corals look wonderful. What sump questions do you have. The more specific you can be the greater people can help.

Well one question is how big should the sump be. I hear the bigger the better but i dont know what that means. Is it better to buy a pre made one like the one with the three chambers ( I like that one ) or for my 58 gallons do I keep it simple.

Understand that the following is my opinion and others may vary. But I stand by the following.
The reason people say bigger is better is for the simple reason that more water equals more stability. That is because things take longer to happen and are diluted. For instance let’s say you knock something like your breakfast into your tank. If it falls into 20 gallons you will have serious problems but if you knock it into 100 gallons. You still have problems but the dilution helps thing to be a little less problematic. As an example I have a 100 gallon display tank and a 300 gallon sump. Yes that’s not normal but I could knock my dinner in there to lol

As far as purchase a pre-made or make your own. That’s personal preference and in most cases a wallet issue. For the most part there is no difference but you can make a sump out of just about anything. It generally comes down to space and location. I can tell you I made mine and it was very simple.

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Understand that the following is my opinion and others may vary. But I stand by the following.
The reason people say bigger is better is for the simple reason that more water equals more stability. That is because things take longer to happen and are diluted. For instance let’s say you knock something like your breakfast into your tank. If it falls into 20 gallons you will have serious problems but if you knock it into 100 gallons. You still have problems but the dilution helps thing to be a little less problematic. As an example I have a 100 gallon display tank and a 300 gallon sump. Yes that’s not normal but I could knock my dinner in there to lol

I understand and I’m going to be sure to not eat by my tank at all lol but that makes sense about the volume. I would assume it also depends on what you can underneath

Space is always an issue. I was able to pipe water to my basement. Some use adjacent closets or rooms. Otherwise you are restricted by the space under the tank. However I have seen people who wanted a larger sump build it visible not under the sump and make it like a second display with mangrove plants. Pretty cool idea

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
Here are some close ups sorry if the picture look bad I’m not the best taking them plus I don’t have a filter as well a after chopping a finger off I don’t have he steadiest hand anymore hahah

a928fe745c4e338e7ccbf3ebcb6d85af.jpg

ec8e7555ce5d3e4468f5e132737e33ee.jpg

I love this one
7bbfe225dac3217ff98db1f24e0cc14a.jpg

6ba09f9e71168f5647d5797fee0642b2.jpg

Super meaty
65fac1b351d5ad67ee4db085ef3c5ff7.jpg

Bandito Aquatics

NJRC Member
They look super. But back to the finger.... what happened

I’m a butcher and in October I had a work accident I chopped off my index finger on my dominant hand needless to sag I was out of commission I have been for some time now. I have had 3 surgeries for them to reattach it. They did but it’s not fully functional so every week 3 days a week this tiny lady at therapy bends and twist and does all kinds of painful but helpful stuff to my finger. I know it seems silly because it’s just one finger but I can barely pick up 5 gallons jug of water without help or it falling out my hand so it’s kinda an issue the reefing is what has kept me sane being stuck in bed for hours cause you can’t move the pins in your finger the tank is what made me feel happy again plus I figure if a coral can come back from getting hurt I’m sure I can do it.

I’m a butcher and in October I had a work accident I chopped off my index finger on my dominant hand needless to sag I was out of commission I have been for some time now. I have had 3 surgeries for them to reattach it. They did but it’s not fully functional so every week 3 days a week this tiny lady at therapy bends and twist and does all kinds of painful but helpful stuff to my finger. I know it seems silly because it’s just one finger but I can barely pick up 5 gallons jug of water without help or it falling out my hand so it’s kinda an issue the reefing is what has kept me sane being stuck in bed for hours cause you can’t move the pins in your finger the tank is what made me feel happy again plus I figure if a coral can come back from getting hurt I’m sure I can do it.

Wowzer. That’s terrible what an ordeal. Happy you found something that is helping you cope. Best of luck friend. May you have a full recovery

Good start on the tank for sure & definatly a huge ouch on the finger. Any update on the sump setup? I bought my sump but if I had to do it again I'd likely just build one, it would have saved me a ton of money & it's really not that hard. It wouldn't look as nice but I could say I built that.