• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My new cube

I got the go ahead to start up a small tank. She won't let me have another 180 :mad:. So, I have decided on a 30x30x24 (about 90g).I can't seem to find anyone who sells this size besides custom places, so I'm building it myself.

For lighting I picked up a full size Lumenarc, 400w Lumatek ballast, and a 20k Radium.

Got a good deal on a BK mini 180 skimmer and an AC Jr.

Will be using a 20 high as a sump and a 25 as a refugium.

I would love to get a couple vortech's but will probably go with a pair of Tunze 6045's. Also still have to pick up a return pump and various other odds and ends.

Lots of pics to follow...very soon.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nearly time to change that sig again, huh? Shhhh, don't tell her that it is harder taking care of a smaller tank... ;D

I know. I'm going to try to get as much water volume as I can with the sump and fuge. I may even make the stand oversized to use bigger tanks below.

danthemanj said:
No, its a virus. It spreads and consumes its host until there is nothing left but itself.......

Why can't all wives get this virus????? All though I think my wife has it. She has giving me the OK to get a 215 gallon tank when we move in to the new house.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I saw 265 this weekend. It was very nice. ;D

I'd be looking at the new line of wider tanks though!

Unfortunately, it's going to be a slow process. I just ordered the glass today to build the tank, should be ready in 2 weeks. Once I build the cube, I want to let the silicone cure for at least 2 weeks. With a little luck I'll be cycling by the end of the summer.

I picked up my glass today ;D. WOW, that stuff is heavy. The 5 pieces weigh about 190 lbs. I hope to get it all taped up between tomorrow and next Thursday and put it together next Friday.

When building the tank please do not forget the most important part......Pictures tons and tons of pictures. :D

This is a virus, I was supposed to break down at the begining of the summer but only got far enough to sell my corals, and 3 months later the tank is still running.

Good Luck.
J

ill tag along with this. in the future i plan on building my tank also. please post pics of the tank build. And good luck.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL... Jose you're too funny.

Steve, I still want to know how building your own tank is less consuming than leaving the one you already had up and running... RUNNING!

Phyl said:
Steve, I still want to know how building your own tank is less consuming than leaving the one you already had up and running... RUNNING!

It's really not time consuming, at least not at home. I'm building the tank at work where I have plenty of help to hold the glass and and keep it straight while it gets taped or clamped. The stand will also be built at work, we have a full carpentry shop as well as electrical, plumbing and sheet metal.

With the tank only being 30" I can pass it off as a small tank. ::)

Some assembly required...

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Now we wait...

DSC_0028.jpg

It's should cure enough over the weekend to move and then put in the overflow cover. I also think I'm going to euro-brace the top. This thing is alot bigger than I thought... ::)