• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

My personal vibrant test and video timeline

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I decided to start dosing vibrant to eliminate my bubble, and patches of hair algae.
im a bit nervous, I don’t usually mess around with things like this but I’m over the algae and have seen to many videos of this really working. So my first dose was yesterday 1ml per 10 gal of volume my est is 150 gal so I dosed 15ml.
im gonna post a video every Sunday to track progress and tank numbers to see what changes. Here’s the first video lights have been turned up to mostly white to show algae better.

Seems my video is to long to load so later when I get home I’ll post it on u tube and supply a link here. Unless someone knows another way. I could make it a shorter video.

i used reefhd in my 29 and it killed my bryopsis and long hair algae. corals made an instant bounce. im worried about leaving it in another week but think im going to risk it.

i went double dose so 6 pills

eholceker

NJRC Member
Flucanazole can really rock SPS corals so be careful if you down that route. Vibrant was okay but always left me dealing with a cyano bloom during use. If you can expose the rock a couple of drops will peroxide will kill it.

good to know. just had a single sps in there that was basically being smothered by algae so. I did have a frag begin to recede overnight but it could be a mushroom was knocked on top of him by a snail

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Flucanazole can really rock SPS corals so be careful if you down that route. Vibrant was okay but always left me dealing with a cyano bloom during use. If you can expose the rock a couple of drops will peroxide will kill it.
Impossible to remove any rock it’s all glued.
I can deal with the cyano after treatment.
it was definitely a concern especially since I already have it in the sump.
I’m going to try to add some more aeration to the tank during treatment to help with the cyano.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I just dosed it again after my awful experience with the cyano afterwards... Can't seem to get this tank to mature comfortably after 1.5 years. It's frustrating for sure. Will be following along and sharing my results as well

eholceker

NJRC Member
I just dosed it again after my awful experience with the cyano afterwards... Can't seem to get this tank to mature comfortably after 1.5 years. It's frustrating for sure. Will be following along and sharing my results as well
Tanks mature with biodiversity. Vibrant probably destroys or upsets it. I would look at products like BioDigest or even better, add real live rock from one of the Gulf Companies. You can also get some sump sludge from a fellow reefer.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Following along. I just started dosing Vibrant last week also. I had a major outbreak of Cyano, Bubble algae and Bryopsis algae. I was able to get rid of the cyano by turning my lights off for 3 days, and then lowering the white light level. I have 5 emerald crabs, but they can't stay on top of the bubble algae. So, while I don't like the idea of using chemicals to treat issues, I need to get rid of this algae. It is taking over my tank.

I made the vibrant mistake. Had a little algae I wanted to get rid of. Used it, and it worked well. Then the cyano started and kept using as per directions. Eventually that went away and was replaced with what believed was Dino's. Stopped the vibrant and then started chasing numbers to resolve dino issues. Once that started everything just went to hell.
Tank now gone. I'll never touch that stuff again

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I made the vibrant mistake. Had a little algae I wanted to get rid of. Used it, and it worked well. Then the cyano started and kept using as per directions. Eventually that went away and was replaced with what believed was Dino's. Stopped the vibrant and then started chasing numbers to resolve dino issues. Once that started everything just went to hell.
I think I'm going to stop - and go straight to flucanozole

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I know this happened to you John and as far as all I have seen and read, you are the vast minority.
there will be a cyano outbreak from this for sure it is part of the cycle of this. When you kill algae that is taken up surface area in the tank something is going to replace it and the fastest thing is cyano. But you are supposed to continue dosing and everything supposed to balance out.
this is not supposed to be a quick cure just a cure.
Hopefully I don’t regret it.
We will all see in this thread

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Here it is week 1 results, not much to see yet but here’s the Video.

also here is a picture of the cyano in the sump. The numbers haven’t changed since last week so I’m not going to re post them.
E792087A-1AC0-452C-9185-A691CA95DA58.jpeg

what is your sump light schedule like? you may increase your chance of positive results if you increase time on or intensity. i had 3 lights on my refugium 24hrs a day and the algae down there out competed everything else in the tank. of course i ramped up to that schedule and intensity over several weeks.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
what is your sump light schedule like? you may increase your chance of positive results if you increase time on or intensity. i had 3 lights on my refugium 24hrs a day and the algae down there out competed everything else in the tank. of course i ramped up to that schedule and intensity over several weeks.
Yes this would probably help but that would also drop my phosphate and No3 levels even lower then what they are and i want them to stay the same or even a bit higher on the no3.
plus i doubt it very much it would remove the bubble algae once that takes hold its here to stay.