• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Natureef Denitrifier

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I'm with Steve on this. And Darren if your running a calcium reactor with reborn or some other coral skeleton media aren't you getting Ca and trace elements out of the dissolved media? It's one of the reasons I run the reactor.

Yes Chris. I run the extra coarse media, I never have to dose Mag or anything else. With or without the natureef system...

radiata

NJRC Member
Darren,

I'm trying to learn more about the Phosphagone product. On RC's Chemistry Forum, Randy Holmes Farley says he would be concerned about Strontium build up using the stuff. Are you using a Strontium test kit?

Is there any reason given on why the product needs to be used with their Dernitrifier? If the stuff just binds inorganic phosphate, why can't one just dose it in their system without a denitrifier?

Thanks,
Bob

I have been wrong before but my understanding was that most phosphate reducer have strontium in them
This was told to me by person who works for the water dept. that supply's our drinking / house water
Can someone else verify this / Darren can you find out from them ??

here's the thread that Bob spoke about. It is from four years ago. Boomer also weighs in on this topic as you will see there is a debate going back and forth between him and Randy. At the time Randy made the posts he had no concrete evidence to back up his statement and it was just his opinion. Now I have high regard for Randy and always listen to what he has to say. I also look at what successes others are having. This process is very popular in Florida and has been in use for many years with no reports of elevated Sr levels.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822448&highlight=phosphagone

radiata

NJRC Member
I have been wrong before but my understanding was that most phosphate reducer have strontium in them
This was told to me by person who works for the water dept. that supply's our drinking / house water
Can someone else verify this / Darren can you find out from them ??

In the marine aquarium hobby I think Phosphagone is the only one with Strontium. A lot of available products have Lanthanun (which is cheaper if you by it in a pool store as a pool phosphate remover). GFO is iron based and has no issues other than cost. Other products, like Phosguard have questions asked about the aluminum compound in it.

Boomer is a freind of mine. I'll ask him to post on this topic. I'm ready to try it. My tank sucks.

That would be great Ed. If you read his comments from 4 yrs ago he was pretty positive that there are no ill effects from it if used properly. The formulas he wrote might as well be launch codes for missiles because I sucked at chemistry. I was lucky if I could turn on a Bunsen burner!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Here is what Boomer replied.

Ed I see an error in that thread about most phosphate reducers are Strontium based additives. That is not so, it is Lanthanum chloride. Joe Yaiullo has been using it at the Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island NY for years. All these liquid PO4 removers one sees are all LaCl, not Strontium nitrate..

Here is what Boomer replied.

Ed I see an error in that thread about most phosphate reducers are Strontium based additives. That is not so, it is Lanthanum chloride. Joe Yaiullo has been using it at the Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island NY for years. All these liquid PO4 removers one sees are all LaCl, not Strontium nitrate..

errr, is this good or bad? I'm still leaning on setting this up on my new build. The results seem to speak for themselves, but there is the old mentality which needs to be convinced.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Darren,

I'm trying to learn more about the Phosphagone product. On RC's Chemistry Forum, Randy Holmes Farley says he would be concerned about Strontium build up using the stuff. Are you using a Strontium test kit?

Is there any reason given on why the product needs to be used with their Dernitrifier? If the stuff just binds inorganic phosphate, why can't one just dose it in their system without a denitrifier?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob and Greg, I don't believe the phosphate option needs to be used with the bacteria based system. It's just for ease of use and convenience. It's only $150 to add that option as it's just adds another doser and they include the liquid that is dosed. As to what is in it, I have no idea and I don't think they would give me that information. lol.

All I know is that it has reduced and kept my phosphates low without stripping out everything else. For me I was already investing in the reactor for nitrate reduction so it was a no brainer to add the phosphate option for $150, as this is much cheaper and better then running GFO, phos guard or any other phosphate media that needs to be replenished. Hope that answers the questions.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Darren
What would you say is the "minimum" system volume that this would make the upfront investment worth while?
Thanks

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Quick update. The reactor has reached the point to where PO4 and NO3 is being reduced to zero in 8 hours within the reactor. Controller is now programmed to flush the reactor every 8 hours. Entire system is reading around 5ppm for NO3 and PO4, which is right where I want to be. There is zero algae in the system and all SPS and LPS look amazing.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I saw the system last week. Darren's tanks always look great but they are way over the top now. I wish mine looked half as good as his.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hmm, this process/system is looking better and better all the time.

Trying to figure out what equipment/supplies I would need to get this running on a 120g with 40g sump. Darren, can you give me a quick list on what you think I would need to buy from them? I'm looking to get a complete package like you have. I'll contact them directly to get a quote on your suggestions... unless you can get it for me like you stated earlier?

Also, Darren, are you running a UV filter with this system?