• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Needreefunds' 46 Bow

Hello folks! Been lurking here a bit since taking the "leap" into reefing. Started with a 12g Nano-cube. I had this 46 as a fish only setup, my first marine tank. Like many others I made quite a few mistakes yet somehow this tank survived. After the 'cube seemed to go so well I decided to convert this tank to a mixed reef. Originally it had about 3-4 inches of crushed coral substrate, coral skeletons, concrete and plastic wannabees for decor.A fluval canister, UV sterilizer and also a skilter filter/skimmer. Yes, I know.... ::). So I first swapped out the CC for reef sand. About a quarter at a time with several weeks in between. This seemed to work well for me and the poor clowns who lived through several sand storms. During this time I had some dry Marco rocks cycling in a tub in the garage (shed). After the CC was finally swapped out I added the marco rocks along with a few pieces of live rock. I swapped the 96w PC fixture for a dual 150mh Sunpod. Added two mj900 ( one with a hydorflo) and a koralia. I have a soapdish for some chaeto right now. I really would like to "clean up" this setup with a overflow and the largest sump I can stick under the stand. OK, enough blabbering onto some pics. Nothing special right now perhaps, but it has come a long way in the last few months. Coloring up nicely and the clowns seem real happy in their new digs.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

000_0150.jpg

Hey, I just found this one from the FO days...
100_4541.jpg

OK, I will try to get some updated shots as I see that these lack some color and are missing some new additions. But for now these will have to do.
Please, any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking and take care all!

Richie

OK, some I just took. :)
029-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

So that's pretty much how it sits right now. Yes the back wall needs work. I would have painted the back at set up If I had known better back then. Hum, probably would have drilled it too! LOL.

Thanks all!

I like the aquascaping. My girlfriend wanted to make a cave like you have but we just didn't have the rocks to make it possible. That didn't stop her from trying though. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Couples shouldn't aquascape together. No siree....

eric65 said:
I like the aquascaping. My girlfriend wanted to make a cave like you have but we just didn't have the rocks to make it possible. That didn't stop her from trying though. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Couples shouldn't aquascape together. No siree....

That is great. I love it. I just Aquascaped with my G/F a couple days ago.

jazzsam
Ah yes, the clowns, Yup another of the early noobie "mistakes". I had no idea at the time that you should'nt have more than one clown pair in such a small tank. I guess nobody told the clowns either! Perhaps because they were introduced so young? Boy they were tiny then. It has a few years now and all seems well, although I think the Maroon pair are currantly not speeking. :-[

Eric65
Thanks! I have to give credit to the wife here though. "Baby, how does this look? Is this better? How 'bout this?"......
Finally she just sat behind me and gave directions. " Put that there, try the smaller one up top".... Well you get the picture ::)
We got it done pretty quick that way. Perhaps if you can't 'scape together she may not be the "one" for you? J/K of coarse. ;)

Thanks for looking guys!

Richie

I know a lot of people with mixed clowns and see it more and more all the time. I really don't think it's as big a problem as some make it out to be.

I've got a pair of yellow striped maroons, pair of clarkiis, pair of false perc, 2 pair of true percs and a pair of black percs (12 total) in the same tank. No problems at all with any of them except for the one false perc which constantly ends up in my refugium surfing 25' of pipe on the way there. He must think it's the best ride in town or he thinks all overflows lead to the ocean. :)

Granted the bigger the tank the more you can get away with but I'm seeing this more and more in smaller tanks too.

Carlo

Carlo said:
I know a lot of people with mixed clowns and see it more and more all the time. I really don't think it's as big a problem as some make it out to be.

I've got a pair of yellow striped maroons, pair of clarkiis, pair of false perc, 2 pair of true percs and a pair of black percs (12 total) in the same tank. No problems at all with any of them except for the one false perc which constantly ends up in my refugium surfing 25' of pipe on the way there. He must think it's the best ride in town or he thinks all overflows lead to the ocean. :)

Granted the bigger the tank the more you can get away with but I'm seeing this more and more in smaller tanks too.

Carlo
Who knew that percs would enjoy the water park?? ::)
Thanks Carlo!
:)

Just for kicks, here is a pic of my Marco rocks order just a few short months ago....That's a bag of rubble in the back.
100_4366.jpg

Gettin' more purple by the minute! ;)

Carlo said:
How many pounds of rock was the order?

Carlo
Sorry Carlo, I just saw your post. That was the 25 pound box and the rubble in the bag was 12.5 pounds. Also pictured is a Tonga shelf piece that was probably around 10 lbs or so. I'm pretty sure that he hooked me up with a bit more than 25 pounds though.

Carlo said:
Wow close to half the box came as rubble? I think I'd be a little upset by that.

Carlo
NO, NO! Sorry. The rubble was purchased separate. The large rocks and the shelf rock are shown as well as the 12.5 bag of rubble.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Marc at Marco rocks was really good to work with. If I ever have the need again I would deal with him without question. He answered all of my questions right away. The order was very well packaged. And again, I know I got more than 25lbs of large rock.

Got ya, that's more like what I've always heard about Marco.

I wasn't actually thinking they would ship rubble as normal rock weight. I was thinking more along the lines of USP/Fedex playing football with your package. :)

Glad to know it was what you ordered!

Carlo

Carlo said:
Got ya, that's more like what I've always heard about Marco.

I wasn't actually thinking they would ship rubble as normal rock weight. I was thinking more along the lines of USP/Fedex playing football with your package. :)

Glad to know it was what you ordered!

Carlo
I hear ya, Carlo. Sometimes I think marking "fragile" on the box is interpreted as "use as a wheel chock" by most carriers. If memory serves the order was shipped via DHL and arrived in great shape. The box itself was lined with foam 3/4" sheets. Pleased with the purchase overall. :)

Just a little pic update with some of the new additions picked up at the frag swap. And some from Newsalt, Thanks Mike!!

tankshots11-02-2007060.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007022.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007021.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007017.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007016.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007015.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007013.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007010.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007009.jpg

Thanks for looking. Still learning, and still enjoying this most humbling of hobbies so very much. Take care all!!

monsterfishkeeper said:
Nice. Who did you get that clam from ???
Thanks!

I picked up the clam at the frag swap from DeepWater Extreme.

He said it was an ORA crocea that he'd had for a few months.

It kept calling my name....... ::)