• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

neptune apex

so im ordering an apex unit is there any other components or accessories that in your experiance i should order right off the bat. I'm already ordering the breakout box for float switches. and possably an energy bar 8.

What are you lights? Do you have the EcoTech Vortex? I have the Apex with 2 energy bars, the VDM and the WXM. Great setup very pleased.

If you do want a WXM, I have one I'm no longer using, about 2 months old. You'd want it if you have a Vortech, otherwise not.

On my own Apex, I have the main unit, a PM1 (I think) for temperature on the mixing tank and pH on my calc reactor, an LSM for moonlight, two Energy Bar 8's and an Energy Bar 4. Also two I/O breakout boxes (one on either end of the tank.

Cool thing about the multiple EB's, if either circuit trips, the Apex stays on. It'll pull power from any EB, not just the one it's directly connected to.

i dont have any vortech's and my leds have manual dimmers on them, was maybe thinking about trying to remove the potentometer and run a wire to the apex to have the dimming done from the apex instead of the knobs

Don't think that'll work. More likely you'll burn out the Apex, your lights, or both.

You'd need to figure out the resistance of your light's potentiometer, then rig up a circuit where the 0-10v coming from the Apex would control a variable resister. It's possible, but a better idea is to get lights that support 0-10v...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not an electrician, but I did a bunch of research on LED's and how to control them because my LED's were dimmable but didn't come with a controller.

From what I found, potentiometers (pots) are typically used to control analog drivers (0-10v). They just adjust the voltage of the signal wire going to the driver.

If you have an Apex, you could simply get the Variable Speed/Dimming Module (VDM) and use an ethernet patch cable to connect to the driver. The only catch is that the patch cable has 8 wires and you will need to cut the end off (that goes to the driver) and find out which 4 you will need (+/- for blues, +/- for whites) to connect to your driver.

Once you replace the pots with the VDM, you should be able to just reproduce the analog signals via the Apex now. The signal from the Apex/VDM will be the same thing as what comes from the Pot.

Then again, I could be wrong and Jason could be right. :grin:

malulu

NJRC Member
The only catch is that the patch cable has 8 wires and you will need to cut the end off (that goes to the driver) and find out which 4 you will need (+/- for blues, +/- for whites) to connect to your driver.

note:
don't cut off the Ethernet cable... instead, buy a female connector and solder them to the driver, then connect your ethernet cable to the connector

or something looks like this... ( i think i have few laying around, PM me if you need them - FREE in green brook, nj 08812 )
A75FDD0594B74BAB96D37D8A476B1886.ashx