• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New Avast Marine CS1

4502780b-7554-aa3f.jpg

DIY CS1 with recirc mod being inspected for defects by Dippy. I bought the kit version, took a few hours to assemble (not counting drying time). Swabby on top, it's already pulling a really nice foam. Not bad for $200.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All kidding aside, Avast Marine is a pretty good company making high quality products. Their ATO Kit (pressure switches) are fantastic!

Yeah, I ordered a bunch from them: skimmer, Sicce PSK-1000, swabbie, skimmate locker, kalk stirrer. The locker has a pressure switch so I can have my apex turn off the pump and alert me if it fills up. All nicely made.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
How hard was it to put that together? They do make great stuff I have there ato and a reactor.

Really wasn't hard at all. The most complicated part was gluing the cone, up along the seam. But that went together easily. Probably about 5-6 sessions, with an hour or two between.

Honestly, the kalk reactor was harder, because I let the glue start to thicken in the tube, so it came spurting out when I was attaching the drain fitting. Even that was easy.

I've been shying away from DIY because I have so little time these days (new job and new baby and new tank), but this was manageable. I also think that the CS1 is underrated. Some of the NAC skimmers look similar, but have the pump in the cone, taking a good 6" of upward bubble travel away... The CS1 has the peg legs, so the pump is under the cone... Not good for low clearance, but great for me.

One thing, if you need to remove the collection cup, it is friction fit with a gasket... I'd say good luck doing that regularly. I have the swabbie, so I'm hoping I only have to take out the cup for cleaning rarely. The quarter turn on the AquaC was really nice, the way it should have been.

Counting pieces:
base plate, cone base, cone, cone top
bubble chamber, bubble plate, bubble top
cup neck, cup base, cup, cup top
silencer + gate valve (about 10 parts)

Those are the parts you glue. Everything else is friction-fit.