• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

new tank setup

Well here it is, anyone have spare scuba gear for a child so I can just throw my son in the tank to work on it :)

100_0412.jpg

sweet! let me know as things move along, I want to come and check it out.. my hobby is kind of lame now.. stuck with the money issue :-( I'll live vicariously through you with your new tank :)

No progress yet, I'm putting some money together so I can get the overflows built, when I get the overflows I'll be able to start working on the the tank.

I can't believe how much acrylic costs :eek: a cheaper alternative to class yeah right ::)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What are you looking at for overflows? I've done a few. Maybe I can help ease the pain $.

Hey Rich,

thanks for the offer, so far the cheapest Mike was able to find is 150 + shipping for blue acrylic, not sure how much the shipping is. I can't find the info on the size I'm going to pm him now and get the details.

If you know the sizes you need you can have the acrylic pre-cut before shipping. The shipping cost would be cheaper because the package is smaller.

There is a guy on ebay from N. Jersey that sells acrylic. I will try and find him. Pretty good prices and when I ordered it was at my house in 2 days.

Andy

P.S. I can help build them if you need me too.

Andy I think the place only sells sheets that I got the prices from. I'm waiting to hear back from Mike (newsalt) to see what the exact size he was going to build.

Thanks for the offer to help, I'll definitely take you up on it. I can use all the help I can get, if you saw my sump fuge than you know I'm not very good/neat with acrylic and silicone :-[

how about a 1 inch pipe 3/4 of the way up that would conect underneath
the acrylic box u are going to have made?
this way u wont have to buy all that acrylic & u will have more realstate under the box.
just trying to help u out.

picture the overflow box silicone to the tank but instead of
going down all the way it only goes down enough for a durso.
it will be bigger then a HOB but yes same concept.

the overflow box that is inside the tank is perfect thats what i mean, but Tom's tank has holes drilled on the bottom glass so instead of having those bulkheads on the side glass u would have one on the bottom of the acrylic box & one on the bottom glass all u would need is PVC to connect them both

Tom:

The pictures that RichT posted is how the overflow on my 120g is. As Steve said, I don't know if that's possible in your case since your tank is drilled at the bottom. If you wanted to do something similar to RichT's overflow, the only thing I could think of is installing a bulkhead into each of the holes in the bottom of the tank and using I pipe plug to close it off. The bulkhead and the plug would be under the sand so you wouldn't see them.

Regarding the overflows you and I had been discussing, I figured each overflow would be 29.5"H x 9.5"W x 6.25"D.

Thanks guy's,

I was trying to save the money for the overflows but I figured I could just sell the tank and get a smaller 120 RR tank. I can get a 120 RR perfecto new for almost the same money the acrylic would cost me.

I'm not sure if the back glass can be drilled, I don't want to take the chance of it braking. If I can't sell the tank then I'll do it the way that Steve is suggesting that definitely would cut the price in half for the acrylic.

If anyone on NJRC want's to buy just the tank I'll sell it to them for $200

The box would be silicone to the back of the glass inside the tank & yes u would need a pipe to connect it to the bottom hole, there would be no drilling require, there is all ready a hole on the bottom of toms tank all u do is connect that to the bottom of the overflow box that would be made.