• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank

The aluminum is worrisome since it is a metal. I wouldn't worry about the lithium. Almost every triton result I have seen came back high. Fresh esv salt has lithium in the 1000s

A couple weeks. It is out now. Was thinking of running some gfo, but don't really like how quick it can strip water, so I decided not to use it

Fun last week.
1. Again another end cap, bulb or ballast has gone bad and I lost the outer row of T5's, thankfully I have spare parts.
2. I tried a majano wand to take out a few aptasia (says it works on them too). It made it horribly worse, like really bad.
3. The outlet on my EB8 stuck open and dosed alkalinity all night long. All went from around 6.9-7 to 11.5. Killed a couple SPS and an LPS, also burnt the tips on some of them.
4. Got second triton test back and phosphate is really high.

Good news. Surprisingly the corals are doing okay (decent polyp extension, good color minus burnt tips). I figure I will cut the affected area off and the should grow back in.
Also decided to change up lighting. I am going with three radions with wide angle lenses and two 250w radium MH in between them. I think I am going to keep one row of T5's just for color.
Also after dosing mishaps ordered an apex DOS system.

I keep telling myself to hang in and things will get better.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about the troubles Hans. Hopefully things turn around soon for you.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe anything with a very low voltage would need to be on the #4 or #8 outlets as they are manual and the voltage doesn't matter. The other circuits for whatever reason, i never looked into or know why, at a low voltage, i forget the number, it could cause it to be in a constant on position due to how they work.

I hit the bulk of the aptasia with aptasia x ( had some laying around). Looks like I did some damage on them lol. Going to do a second round today while I am waiting for UPS. Just have to keep plugging away.

Also forgot to mention that I almost crashed my natureef system too. I didn't notice that the tubing for the nitragone flipped upright in the bottle and it wasn't dosing it. Glad I caught it before it crashed. I decided to do what I did for dosing chambers and got some acrylic tubing and slid the hose through that so it won't happen again.

I think I also might have driven Darren and Jason to drink with all the texts lol. Want to give him a huge thank you for all the help and letting pick his brain. Greatly appreciated

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
when the doser failed, did apex show it in the on position? or did the apex show it as off and it was still dosing? Curious, if it showed it as on still there might possibly be a way to set an alarm for this. If it showed it as off though i don't think it would help.

Art13 it was set on auto. I can set it for on or off and they work fine that way. But when it is on auto it just continually runs.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, may have asked the question wrong, I was assuming it was on auto, but usually on the fusion interface the pump will show on or off. Mine are set to auto as well, when they come on, the apex will show it's running and say on, same when it's off. I'm curious if your's was on auto, does it say on as well, or does it show off but keep running? I'm only asking so i can possibly program it to send me an alert if the doser stays on for an extended amount of time, but that only works if when it fails the fusion system shows it as on.

That is a good question. I never looked at the app, I was just lookingat the pump itself. I emailed Neptune and just gave them admin privileges so they can look at it online. Hopefully it can be fixed. I did however pick up a DOS system to replace the BRS dosing pumps. But debating on using the BRS pimps for mag, and trace elements possibly. Most likely I will sell them and dose trace manually

New lights are set up and running and I like them a lot. Did three radion pros and two 250 radiums in between. I also kept 4 of the36 inch T5's around the outside. Haven't hooked up DOS pump yet, that will get done after vacation.

On separate note. Neptune rep told me to turn on the outlet that stuck on and try tapping it with a mallet to "unstick" it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hammer usually works for fixing most things, engaging a starter, fixing computers, taking out a relative on the holidays. I see you went with all three lighting options instead of one, lol, sounds like a nice setup.

Hammer usually works for fixing most things, engaging a starter, fixing computers, taking out a relative on the holidays. I see you went with all three lighting options instead of one, lol, sounds like a nice setup.

I thought of getting rid of the T5s all together but I like the way the corals look with the blue plus. Added Halides to help with growth and I really like the crisp blue hue the Radiums are putting out. Right now I am in process of trying to get everything back on track after Alk mishap. Probably wasn't the best time to switch up lighting but I figured I might as well do it before adding new/ replacement corals.

Well after a long time posting, here goes. Lost all my SPS. I think I tried dropping phosphate to fast. Also I am replacing all my rock with real reef Rock. Hoping that takes care of phosphate issue. Pics will come later of before and after aquascape

Quick update.
Decided to add another halide and take out a radion. Also adding 2 60 inch reef brites (all blue).
So lighting will be 3 250w radiums with Ecotech XR30 in between the halides then the reef Brites in front and back.

Also adding 2 MP40QD's, so I will have 4 MP40's and debating on keeping the MP60 depending on the aquascape.

Hoping to get what's left of the coral in the temp holding tank and finish the rail mount for new configuration. If time is left I will start the rock, but football is on tomorrow so we will see