• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New tank

Old tank (220 acrylic) is all broke down and hopefully sold tomorrow. My new tank is a custom 315 gallon acrylic from advanced acrylics in California. It should be getting shipped out this coming week. They are also building my sump too.
Tank is 84 long 36 wide 24 high 3/4 inch acrylic with euro brace. It has 3 1.5 inch drains in an external overflow (like that a lot, not losing any space in tank from overflow) and 4 3/4 inch returns.

Sump is 60 long 20 wide 16 high. From left to right it has built in ATO them 2 7 inch filter sock, the are used for skimmer and reactors will be used for frags and holding are for fish. Next is bubble diffuser and bulk head for external pump.

Along with sump I will be using my current 75 gallon refugium (located in heater room behind tank). I am planning on having one of the 3 drains run into fuge and then gravity feed back into main sump.

Light will consist of 6 AI hydra's and 8 36 inch T5's. Hydras will be in the middle facing front to back and two rows of T5's on each side. I have not set my mind in what color to use for them yet.

Two of the return lines will go straight to tank. The other two will run through UV and chiller. I was able to get a 200w UV for a really great price. I realize this is a huge UV so I only plan on running it about 4-6 hours a day. I will adjust time as nessasary.

For water movement I will have two MP40's on one side (already have) and an MP60 on the other (next on list). For main pump I am using my reeflo dart/hybrid.

As for reactors i will run the usual GFO, carbon and kalk. I have a sulfur denitrator on last tank but not sure if I am going to use again.

Currently I have 4 BRS dosers to do calcium, alk, magnesium and kalk. I am waiting for the apex dosing pump and want to check out reviews before switching over to them.

What else. Octopus 3000sss skimmer (might have to upgrade). Apex controller, 2 EB8's, 2 automatic feeders (ordered one and they sent two lol).

So that is what new setup will consist of equipment wise. Can't wait to start stocking again.
Looking forward to setting it up. I will try to post pics when I can.

Thank you for reading.

Thanks guys. I will be posting pics along the way.
I just got the UV today. I have my father in law modifying it a little (he was an electrician). It has 5 40watt bulbs on 3 ballasts. So he is going to add 3 switches in it so I will be able to use any or all of the lights. Figure I will use one or two at a time and then every couple of months switch to the others.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That is a big tank, and sounds like you have quite the plan for it. Looking forward to following along.

kschweer I got lucky with that one. A guy on Facebook sold it to me. He bought it new last year (around 2K) and wasn't using anymore. It is rated for 1500 gallons for marine and 13000 for freshwater. It has 3 ballasts in it 2 of the ballast do 2 lights and the other does one (5x40w). Luckily my father in law was an electrician and he is going to put in 3 switches so I can use anywhere from 1 to all 5 lights (wont be using all 5 I would imagine).

I will post some pics of the stand build soon. I did the first coat of stain last night on it.

Still have to paint inside and add trim and doors

Attachments

• 20140919_220429.jpg
    20140919_220429.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20140919_220516.jpg
    20140919_220516.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20140919_220730.jpg
    20140919_220730.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 79
LOL between your sump and fug - the volume is almost greater than my display plus sump. :) Looking forward to the build. Thanks for sharing.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great sized tank, and great plan you got there Hans. Welcome to the club and looking forward to following along on this build.

I know Jan. We worked the same list (on call list) for the last 6 years together. Really great guy. We were 1 and 2 on that list, he was 1. He always took care of me when it came to taking days off for the holidays.

Stand is in the house, wish I had a basement, or a little bit larger room. Still have to stain the top and build the doors. Talked to advanced acrylics yesterday and they said they are shipping next Thursday (they had a problem with shipping company and had to switch to another).

I know Jan. We worked the same list (on call list) for the last 6 years together. Really great guy. We were 1 and 2 on that list, he was 1. He always took care of me when it came to taking days off for the holidays.

Tell him I said hello. He and his wife, me and Lynn are cruising buddies.

20140922_191014.jpg20140922_191014.jpg20140922_191014.jpg
Stand is in the house, wish I had a basement, or a little bit larger room. Still have to stain the top and build the doors. Talked to advanced acrylics yesterday and they said they are shipping next Thursday (they had a problem with shipping company and had to switch to another).