• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

New to this

D085FF5F-20B0-4173-B447-CF79FD187419.jpeg Hello all. My name is Matt and I am a new reefer or to be more accurate I am new to this reefing world and do not deserve the title reefer. With this said I am posting hear with the understanding that I am going to get trashed and I accept this happily if it gets me the knowledge I need to be successful.
My tank and the majority of equipment is used or repurposed the main display is five feet wide 18 inches front to back and 24 inches tall. Most support tanks and equipment resides in basement below and about 12 feet away. There is a 40 gallon tank directly under the display that contains three 4 inch socks. And a protein skimmer. That tank drains into a 55 gallon refugium, a 90 gallon tank with extra rock, a 90 gallon tank used for extra water volume and finally a 60 gallon tank that has filter socks and a return pump
395DC7F2-3DFC-495D-94F2-EA515FB9CE7B.jpeg
This is some of the plumbing in the support tanks. Kind of difficult to take pics. Very tight space BF68D4A5-446D-4777-9E4C-DDEA2B876504.jpeg

This as far away as I can get to take pic.
89DFF062-D767-4DE6-98C6-9146E2C0B247.jpeg
I should be ready to start cycling in a couple more weeks. I’m not sure what you all need to know but will be happy to reply to any comments or suggestions. Thank you all for the help

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Welcome aboard!

First, love the stand, if you put a bar and a TV in there you're set.
Also love the set up, I'm surprised you're a first timer with the hobby as you're setting up a fantastic system.

Secondly...
I am posting hear with the understanding that I am going to get trashed and I accept this happily if it gets me the knowledge I need to be successful.

If you want to get trashed you're in the wrong place.
You'll not see aggravation, flaming, or trash talking in here.
You will get some great advice, encouragement, and, when you're ready to start filling the tank, a number of offers for starter corals to bring you up to speed (when you're ready hit me up, I've got some stuff I can give you).

So, ask lots of questions, have fun, and if you want to be trashed go to another site. :)

Thank you very much. Your response is overwhelming. I can only hope some day I will be able to repay the kindness. On another note I am not internet savvy and am having a hard time figuring out this message stuff so my apologies in advance. Hopefully I’ll catch on quick

Since I collected a lot of the equipment over time used, trashed or otherwise unwanted. Most was not specifically chosen as a cohesive unit to work together. Below are a few items that I am not positive is adequate. Any input much appreciated.
Protein skimmer... reef octopus xp-2000
(Poor thing was separated at all joints but glued together nicely)
Heaters. 2 X finex 800 watt
Inkbird- heater controller
MP-10 and MP-40 fan style pumps (will need replacing soon they are noisy not sure if they are servisable)
Version one of the gyre pump... works well
Iwaki return pump 70-RL

Also I picked up a BRS rodi unit

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
So far your build looks pretty solid. Your stand looks awesome btw

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Approximately how much does it cost to buy and have glass cut? Did you go to Atlantic Glass in Red Bank?

Approximately how much does it cost to buy and have glass cut? Did you go to Atlantic Glass in Red Bank?
I happend to use dan Daly glass in eatontown simply because he was the first person to pick up on a Saturday. It cost me $100.00 for the glass and for it to be cut. Sounded high until I priced 1/4 inch glass uncut online. Either way he did a good job glass was ground smooth and fit as expected

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for the info on the glass cost. I have a 40b that i need to have glass cut. Now just to find time to design the layout