• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Newbie needs help.

I thought I was doing well untill I spoke with a LFS looking for a new Salifert test kit. The individual asked me about my setup which I told him was as follows:
90 Gal tank
Amiracle MR-300 filter
Iwaki md40rlt pump
angstrom 25w uv
emperor aquatics series two skimmer and overflow
2 zoomed powersweep powerheads (no longer sweeping)
90lbs walt smith fiji rock
70lbs of Florida crushed coral.

When I advised about the crused coral the "Sales" person acted like the world just ended and I would never have any success whatsoever, due to tthe fact that I used crushed coral. I did some research on the topic beforehand and to me it looked like an argument that has been going on since the beginning of time, live sand vs. crushed coral vs. aragonite substrates. He asked why I put the coral in the system and I told him that my LFS advised that they have been using it for many years on 300+ tanks with no problems. He then stated that they have no idea what they are talking about and I should return the coral to them and buy his live sand at $37.99 per 20lb bag. Then he began to talk about how ugly crushed coral is and how my nitrites, nitrates and every other water parameter will spike and lead to my ultimate failure. Quite honesty theis SALES person's opinion was discounted by me quite quickly because of his rude and arrogant maner in getting his point accross. If I truly did the wrong thing, I have no problem in taking the coral out and repalcing it with some other substrate, although I won't buy it from that man's store. Right now I'm cycling the tank with the rock and my ammonia is zero my nitires are at 2ppm, nitrates 30 ppm, ph 8.3. I'm going to wait AT LEAST one monthe befor adding any fish and corals are not anticipated in the near or distant future. Am I doing the right thing by leaving the substrate or is this guy just trying to make a sale. By the way he also tried to sell me uncured rock for 8.00 a lb, he must really need to pay the rent.

I'm sorry, I lost my manners- I'm brand new to the board as well and want to say hello to everyone out there. So far everyone but one person in this hobby has ben fantastic! I hope that trend continues!

Thanks
Dave

personally i will change the cc to sand, and what kind of corals you trying to keep?? will be good to know to give out more ideas, and welcome to NJRC

Gabriel

Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm only going to do a FOWLR system. Is there any fact to what was told to me about crushed coral, or is it just a personal preferance?

I like the sand better personally. I think it looks better than CC and is better if you get any sand sifters, like snails, sand sifting sea star or any gobies that sift the sand. I've heard that the nitrates can go up in CC, but I have no idea on the factual of that. I think you can get sand a lot cheaper than that. You should be able to find sand for about $20-25 for 30# at LFS's, and then just get a cup of sand from someone elses established tank, and you'll have live sand in no time. No need to spend that much on sand, IMO.

But then again, i've seen successful tanks with CC, so if you like it, go for it, unless anyone has any factual proof otherwise.

-Bill

WELCOME DAVE :)
I've seen all tanks have success, CC, sand and bare bottom, I have heard with CC you will have to do more maintenance (water changes) once the tank matures and how heavy you stock the tank, but that can be said the same for the other type's as well, I say go with what looks good to you, I personally like a sand bottom best.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome Dave. I just picked up 200 pounds of the Kolor Scape white play sand for $16 at HD. Someone on the other treads said they tested it, and it tested out fine. Mike

Where was that HD, Mike? Need sand in a big way.

michaelm2431 said:
Welcome Dave. I just picked up 200 pounds of the Kolor Scape white play sand for $16 at HD. Someone on the other treads said they tested it, and it tested out fine.  Mike

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hazlet. Where are you? Its not on the shelfs, there's a pallet on the floor. If you're too far, I can pick u some up and meet u half way. Its exit 117 right off pkwy. Mike

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know if it's a 30 lb. bags, or 50lb. bags. It just says covers 5 sq.ft at 1 in. For $3.99

I'm in Clifton. Looks like another $20 in fuel over the weekend. Maybe I'll call those boneheads and see if I can get a SKU. It might be at one around here.

I appreciate the offer, though. Nice of you to offer.

Thanks for the info!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I was in Hd getting it before, The salesman said someone came in and tested it for their fish tank, and bougt 2 bags.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Good. What size tank are you setting up? I just used 120 pounds of it and mixed in 100 pounds of established pink fegie from my other tank for my 125. Transfering stock over now.Mike

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
finished it tonight. trying to upload a pic. it's still a little cloudy.