• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

NJ law for license plate / bike rack question

Hey all...

got a question related to the NJ law on obscured licenses plates.

We plan on going to the shore later in the summer and I plan on bringing a pair of bikes along. However if I read the NJ law, I believe that by adding the bike rack/hitch, it will partially obscure view of my plates. Therefore I would be potentially cited by a cop.

I really do not want that to happen so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Should I go to the NJMVC and ask them? Will I need to look into getting a 3rd plate to attach to the rack?

I will try and get a pic and upload.

If a cop really wanted to break your balls... they will. Unless your doing something stupid on the ride down, they won’t bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previously worked as a special officer for a police department as per nj title 39 (traffic/mv law) license plates must be clearly present on the front and rear of all NJ registered vehicles (there are some specifications on location but the gist is they must be clearly readable and not,obstructed in any way including partially, if the cop wanted to be a hard ass he could cite you but most wouldn't unless they can't see the plate at all

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Normally they use something like that as an ''out"
Or it's the ticket they give you instead of something else like speeding ;) Been there, done that haha
Same here. Got a ticket like this cause I was speeding but he let me off with this type of ticket and it was due to those stupid license plate holder the dealer put on

Even if you were pulled over, this is usually the type of ticket you have to talk yourself into...
Exactly... Not saying there isnt that super trooper out there or parking patrol that's itching,for higher ticket numbers but normally this sorta thing is cut a break. You see problems with this more when the plate is totally blocked and the officer actually has to try and,figure out were the plate is. The only time I have heard this being a regular ticket item is when people act like fools when given the warning to correct there problem

Normally they use something like that as an ''out"

Same here. Got a ticket like this cause I was speeding but he let me off with this type of ticket and it was due to those stupid license plate holder the dealer put on
Ya or,this a ticket given as a break how ever in,some states things like those clear coverings for plates is considered a way of trying,to cheat plate readers and gets certain highway patrol type officers nice and wound,up

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I work with a lot of shore officers and we BS a lot. They're used to abuse. If you are pulled over for something minor, a good attitude will do wonders.

Example...
Took my Jeep out 3 weeks ago, I left papers in the house.
Was pulled over, probably as my jeep looks like an 18 year old's acid trip.
When officer approached I said 'hi', and 'unsure what I did wrong but sorry for the trouble' in a non-guilty and conversational tone. I didn't push or demand any info.
Had some mild banter about weather and upcoming tourist season as I got my registration.
Handed my registration.
'Sir, your registration is expired. It's illegal to drive in Nj etc etc...'
I apologized again, told him it was first time I had Jeep out in ages, and had probably missed the re-registration mail. Promised I would sort it ASAP.
'OK sir, can I see your insurance please?'
Aaaannnnnddd, I didn't have that either. Explained that I left paperwork in the house.
I told him I understood a ticket was coming regardless, but I could call my insurance right away for confirmation of coverage to minimize any concerns.
As I was on hold with insurance we made some small talk, I apologized again for my idiocy and wasting his time.
He told me not to worry about the insurance, he trusted me, then he wrote a warning and let me go.
Of course I renewed the registration and got the insurance card back in the car asap. But, I could have been arrested for simply not having the registration on hand.

In chatting with officers I work with I told them the story and they weren't surprised.
They're happy to accept mistakes and minor inadvertent violations as human nature... but act like an A-H (on road or to them) or get confrontational and it's not going to work out well.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most (99%) cops will give you a ticket...It's part of there job to generate money for the township, State and there own police force ...Some may give you a warning but in truth it's very far and few between ...States that have Civil Forfeiture laws are the worst...You don't even have to be Charged with any crime for them to take your Car, Home,cash...ect... Just a suspicion i.e (Could smell weed) even though you didn't or have any (Your word against his) ... NJ has this Law and it's being abused big time like most of the counties Civil Forfeiture laws:(...BTW I'm not anti cop but just anti abuse and cops not giving a warning when due..Rear tag light out when it was just a loose wire that I fixed on the spot ...also getting a ticking in a target parking lot for not having a seat belt on yes a privet Parking lot..yeah both things happened to me :(.. ...I am friendly with a few cops in my town and In fact helped them catch the guy who burgled me and many other homes even though I did all the footwork for 2 weeks solid..they took all the credit for it :rolleyes:...Anyway...if you think you could get a ticket for it you probably will...The odds are against you now days

Civil asset forfeiture by N.J. police needs reform |Editorial
Many Innocent people have had there stuff listed above taken away just on a suspicion with no charge or arrest

Do police really write tickets to make money?

Last edited:

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would like to add one other thing and I think more people should do the same...If possible I do try to tell people if they have a rear light out or not working right especially a break light...I mean the only time you'll know about it if someone tells you or you'll get a ticket...I also flash my lights on oncoming traffic to tell people a cop has his radar on (I have a radar detector) or is just up the road hiding behind a bush..ect...It is legal in the state of NJ even though the police tried to fight it in court ...The Judge pretty much ruled... It's protected as free speech and added. ...If a ticket is supposed to slow people down then Flashing of headlights to warn people does the same thing and that's the Goal to promote safety and not to raise revenue
wonder why the cops were against it?:rolleyes:

7286253f636891678fe96d6e299c98fd--funny-cops-funny-memes.jpg
:D

Last edited: