• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

no power

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
storm came thru quick and knocked out power . trees,poles down . have bubblers going.. this since 12:30 good thing i have some power on laptop tethered to phone.. maybee power by 4:30 we shall c

Guys try to get a universe power supply for at least one power head they are not too expensive and will be a lifesaver down the line
Amazon has some for decent prices

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
We we're in a Jeep, no top, as the storm came in. Got caught in the 80+ mpnh winds avbout 1/4 mile from home. Jeep flooded out, and we we're all soaked like sewer rats. IT was insane! Like a ultra real Disney ride with fear of death :)
We did lose power for a while, fortunately I picked up a power brick from Amazon (as Raptor mentioned) last year, 800W model, think it ran around $100.
It kept my Vornado fan going over the tank and an MP40 for a couple of hours and had power to spare.

Ivan, Chris, and Mark - sorry to hear but you never know. I lost power for 36-48 hours on an established reef last year and not a single casualty.
The fish do fine and most Corals can be shipped for days without light or circulation, hopefully you fare well.

no power in my home in forked river. fowlr tank. have 2 cranking batteries for my boat fully charged. running powerheads aimed at heaven lol.

generator won't be here till Monday but I can always buy another battery (wanted to get a deep cycle or 2 anyway), connect the inverter to my car or just pick up a generator at home Depot tomorrow until Monday. looks like most of my town has electricity.

Resized_20200603_184404.jpeg

We we're in a Jeep, no top, as the storm came in. Got caught in the 80+ mpnh winds avbout 1/4 mile from home. Jeep flooded out, and we we're all soaked like sewer rats. IT was insane! Like a ultra real Disney ride with fear of death :)
We did lose power for a while, fortunately I picked up a power brick from Amazon (as Raptor mentioned) last year, 800W model, think it ran around $100.
It kept my Vornado fan going over the tank and an MP40 for a couple of hours and had power to spare.

Ivan, Chris, and Mark - sorry to hear but you never know. I lost power for 36-48 hours on an established reef last year and not a single casualty.
The fish do fine and most Corals can be shipped for days without light or circulation, hopefully you fare well.
The good news is that it’s not the winter the weather outside is decent. So all you have to worry about is the tank overheating if you keep the lid open And every once in a while check your thermostat you should be ok. You could keep the temperature at a pretty even temp. To get Water circulation all you need is a cheap pump that runs on batteries anything even a cheap bubbler And you could rig it with AA batteries

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
2 tanks 4 bubblers. 1 tank still bubbling.the 90 not so good. So some fresh batterys..... I did see a tang and a shrimp..still saying tonight. Midnight.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Power came back on 4:30 this morning. So far I don't see any casualties in my reef tank but will have to triple and quadruple check.
All 4 seahorses and Hector goby seem fine. Just need to reset my timers.

I plan to get a UPS with the upgrade before winter sets in. However, in the past I would throw to huge blankets over the tank with a bubbler if power lost during winter.

@Ezve thanks for the offer as I just saw your message.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Our power cycled on and off a few times, nothing more than a few moments at any time. When power goes out here (last time was three days after sandy), I put a generator on the returns and power heads.

I only lost power for about 6 hours. I used a battery backup to run one pump. I also poured water into the tank several times to help aerate it.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mark, the battery bubbler are under $10 on Amazon. Great to use as they last quite a few hours to move water for gas exchange.

Mark, the battery bubbler are under $10 on Amazon. Great to use as they last quite a few hours to move water for gas exchange.
I was in ocean when that came thru, boy it was wild saw 3 water spouts almost 5gt high dancing across top of water, 55ft boat with outriggers and birds helped a lot but still nerve racking, had to shut down all electronics for hour and just drift n ride it out
Love my job

I was in ocean when that came thru, boy it was wild saw 3 water spouts almost 5gt high dancing across top of water, 55ft boat with outriggers and birds helped a lot but still nerve racking, had to shut down all electronics for hour and just drift n ride it out
Love my job
You’re a lucky man. you get to go to the ocean all the time.

Love my job

should have seen what ripped down my lagoon. 2 teenage girls hanging out on the beach almost swept into the bay. neighbor's chairs, cushions all kinds of things lost that day