• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

No sir.....I don't like it.

I dreamed last night that God told me to get a 1000 gallon aquarium and fill it with 2 of every coral known to mankind. Like an Ark. An Underwater Ark..... the big man kept calling me Noah though.... I'm not Noah... I'm Tristian.... and I STILL don't know wtf a CUBIT is... that like 2" right? In Metric? My girlfri....err....Wife.. will not allow me to build an Arc in the living room or buy a 1000 gallon tank for that matter. Even if the Big Man himself commands it. This leaves me with 1 question. Who has a back yard big enough for a 1000 gallon fish tank? And who wants to donate 2 of every coral for...err... preservation.....yea....preservation..

Kinda like what they say about global warming while at the same time we set a record for having snow on the ground this past winter for 42 days.
Ken

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Kinda like what they say about global warming while at the same time we set a record for having snow on the ground this past winter for 42 days.
Ken

Yes but climate change is indeed a big issue and for real. Terrible droughts in the mid-west, massive rainfall in the west, hurricanes and tornados in the east and massive snowfalls. Record snowfall is all a part of the climate change. Weather patterns are being observed all over the world that have never been seen and are a confirmation that climate is changing and if we dont do something very soon, the consequences will be dire, IMO. So unfortunately I do agree with the author of the book to some degree. And if you dont believe that climate change is a major issue, then those people are just plain ignorant...

:applouse::applouse:
Yes but climate change is indeed a big issue and for real. Terrible droughts in the mid-west, massive rainfall in the west, hurricanes and tornados in the east and massive snowfalls. Record snowfall is all a part of the climate change. Weather patterns are being observed all over the world that have never been seen and are a confirmation that climate is changing and if we dont do something very soon, the consequences will be dire, IMO. So unfortunately I do agree with the author of the book to some degree. And if you dont believe that climate change is a major issue, then those people are just plain ignorant...

:applouse::applouse:

Maybe, maybe not. If it was that definitive and you could draw an exact cause and effect, the Republicans would have stop saying it is all BS as the Democrats would be able to give proof positive. Since this can't be done, it is all speculation.
Ken

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Maybe, maybe not. If it was that definitive and you could draw an exact cause and effect, the Republicans would have stop saying it is all BS as the Democrats would be able to give proof positive. Since this can't be done, it is all speculation.
Ken

Ok so lets all sit back and "speculate" about the causes of this, like our useless politicians. Instead of "speculating" maybe if more of the people in this country would give a damn about the environment, your children would have a much better planet to live on. In the meantime, we can all "speculate" while the planet crumbles around us...

That's quite dramatic. Let's not deviate and stick to point. So what's the plan? Usually you need to define the problem along with what the EXACT cause is. It can't be guess work.

There are enough people going back and forth on if there is global warming and there is not global warming as well as what the potential reasons could be that illustrate that know one really knows.
Ken

That's quite dramatic. Let's not deviate and stick to point. So what's the plan? Usually you need to define the problem along with what the EXACT cause is. It can't be guess work.

There are enough people going back and forth on if there is global warming and there is not global warming as well as what the potential reasons could be that illustrate that know one really knows.
Ken
Millions or is it billions of cars, electric plants, houses all burning fossil fuels. The evidence exists. Crap like ooooh 1 volcano makes more co2 then all the cars is bull poop. Has been debunked, yet a lot of politicians say things like what you just spouted.. Prove it. Well they have there is info out there. They just tend to ignore it like it doesn't exist. I understand we all want jobs and need to earn a living but at the same time we have to have a planet to populate. Never mind that 4billion pound gorilla in the room of overpopulation. What the heck are we going to do about that? I will put out there that in my youth I worked at an environmental testing lab, yes maybe the hair isn't hereditary:single_eye: , and factories put a lot of junk in the air and water. Look at asthma rates in polluted areas...do you want your kids growing up in a super fund site? Think property in the Love Canal section is looking up after all those years? Unfortunately companies don't always have great ethics ... they rightfully want to make a buck. But they are not EVER going to self police themselves. So you have to have agencies like the EPA. Are they great, well no, but they are a lot better then nothing. FDA not great but better then what China has, oh sorry you like arsenic in your kids apple juice I forgot. We have to for our kids sake as Darren pointed out TRY to improve. Otherwise those SCI-FI movies will look realistic.

Do you really believe that global warming doesn’t exist or are you just parroting those wonderful talk show hosts and politicians that cater to all that is big business (oil in particular) is good?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR

Ken

"Dramatic" far from it. "deviating", not at all. The problems are all around us, open your eyes. Whats the plan?? Conservation, solar energy (11.5 KWH system on my roof), fuel efficient cars, recycling (do as much as I can), use of re-usable bags when shopping, the motto this club stands for. ETC ETC It goes on and on.

The point is not if global warming truly exists, but realizing we are wrecking our planet and doing something about it now rather then waiting for it to be too late. So if you want to go on speculating and debating, while we destroy this planet so be it. The statement that record snowfall means global warming doesnt exist, just about says it all.

I can see where this is going, so I have made my point, you have made hmmmmmm NONE. Later!!!

Guys - I don't think this discussion is helpful.

Whether one believes in something (global warming) is irrelevant here. If I say I don't believe in the big bang science theory and believe santa claus does that make my opinion less?

Please be reminded that politics and religion are not to be subjects on this board - both of which have been talked about in this thread.

Now - with that said, let's get back on topic.

A book is written by someone from the UN. He wants people to buy it right? First he has to sell it to the publisher, and the media has to exaggerate it to get people to read it. I am sure this professor studded his book full of caveats but the media wants you to know the bottom line is that "CORAL REEFS ARE DYING" the sky is falling. Waaaaah.

I am not saying that is wrong - it's a good hook and a good reminder to all of us to preserve our environment.

Now - does that mean he is right? Hardly. Predicting what will happen in 40 years is full of twists/turns and unknowns. I predict in 40 years that I will have paid off my mortgage. Hardly groundbreaking news I know. of course that all depends on me having a job, not selling the current house and renting etc. etc.

People have made forecast/claims before. decades ago people said we would have destroyed the entire Maine lobster fishery - that nothing would be left because we harvested all the viable reproductive adults at the rate we were eating them. Yet they continue to survive. Are they as plentiful as when the american indians used to find them on rocks in low tide? no. But they are still plentiful enough (with appropriate regulation) to support the existing multi-million dollar industry.

Point is - I'm sure Peter Sale is trying to sell his book but also push his own agenda. I don't necessarily know what the future holds in 40 years time, but if Peter can sell a book about that forecast - more power to him.

btw james - I think the other item you failed to mention are lawnmowers. People in this country love their lawns and I believe MOST mowers do not have any catalytic converters (or meet California requirements)...which means a LOT of pollution.

This quote is interesting. "we risk having no reefs that resemble those of today in as little as 30 or 40 more years".

we don't want a reef that resembles those of "today". Honestly - today's reef has already changed drastically and if you look at what CRF is doing in the carribean, you could argue the reef there was destroyed already and is now slowly trying to make a come-back (thanks to efforts like those from CRF).

I found another review and this is more food for thought:

"The author believes that it is possible to save the planet while maintaining a high standard of living for the entire world's population, but only if specific measures are agreed to and implemented by all governments. His first—and likely most controversial—is a one-child-per-family policy implemented by a variety of incentives including free access to contraception and abortion and tax deductions for a first child only. He also proposes an expanded use of nuclear technology while we are transitioning to alternate energy, as well as the rapid integration of solar energy in the design and retrofitting of homes and highways."

Well we are eventually going to outgrow this planet. For sure it is controversial but it is something we should all think about.
BTW I wasn't trying to argue politics just people who ignore the trueth shown by data because it doesn't jibe with their agenda.
I did my best to walk that fine line.

I push my lawnmorer....I actually looked before I bought mine and it is one of the greenest gas mowers out there.:kiwi-fruit:

Well.... I'm glad that I could spark a discussion out of starting this thread. Apologies if it caused some static (yes, I went old school with that one). :p

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't know if this author's prediction will become true or not, but I know I don't want it to happen! If making the book sound dramatic helps spread the word, then I agree with the tactic.

Saving the planet is something that has grown in popularity over the past 20 or so years, but unfortunately that popularity hasn't grown fast enough to start reversing the processes set in place by "civilization". The ball is just getting rolling so to speak, and hopefully it will pick up speed and momentum and make it over the hill.

Regardless of whether you believe this author or not, the overall theme is something that should be catching on much easier than it is apparently. Improving our planet's situation can be done fairly easily if enough people get the point that it NEEDS to be done. Honestly, I don't understand why some of the possible options aren't being done more often. Most fixes (I refer you to suggestions already made by James and Darren) are not only simple to do, but they can actually save you money to do them. Why don't more people join in?

I think the major issue is laziness. That's right, just plain old laziness. People don't like to change what they've been doing just because it takes effort to think and do things a different way. The old way doesn't seem to impact anyone directly (at least not immediately) so they don't believe it's really all that important to change.

I guess all we can do is our own part, and hope to convince others to join in and see the big picture.