• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Normal ALK level drop per day?

Is it normal to have the ALK level drop by .9 dKH per day?

I have a 72gal + 20gal sump (3/4 filled with water). I have a mix of different type of coral (SPS, LPS, Soft). Evaporation wise I lose about 1 gal per day, but it gets refilled with an ATO. What uses up the ALK? Is it the corals?

I am dosing BRS 2 part formula. I was just wondering if the cosumption seem excessive.

Thanks.
Matt

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Your coral load and the type of corals is going to affect your Alk levels. Also some will get lost to filtration and other things. You need to test every day for at least a week probably two if you want to start dosing to make sure your levels are consistent.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your test kits will determine how much you need to dose per day….and that will be determined by the amount of sps/lps you have in the tank. I’ve got to believe that with a 72 gallon….with moderate sps/lps….you’re looking at 20 plus milliliters per day. (of each alk and calc), but the actual number will be determines by testing.

Like Mike said , test for a while to determine needs before dosing .
While were discussing alk and calcium consumption why dont members post up our total gallons, sps load( light,med,heavy) and alk loses . Also what you dose daily/ weekly to keep it stable . Might want to add magnessium while were at it ,if you dose it also . It would be interesting and useful . I would start but I am having an issue with my alk and calcium ( and of sourse sps) at this moment,lol.

Jim - Thanks for the link and the frags I got from you a few weeks ago. They are doing well. I will send pics later.

My current parameters are 8dKH, 1280MG, 400CA. I normally try to keep it at the level BRS recommends. I manually dose ALK every other day. MAG & CA I do weekly after testing. As test kits, I used Red Sea for ALK & MG. For Ca, I use an API kit. I will give it a try this week to test everyday.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Rich- Wow, 2 dKH drop a day. I guess .9 is not too bad. I m not sure if you remember me, but I got my first sps/lps coral frags from you over a year ago(purple rim, trumpet, pink digi, pink birds nest, blue steel). I will try to get some pics later.

How is the Red Sea Alk test kit doing for you? I'm in the same boat as you. I just set up my dosing pumps and am trying to get a handle on my dosing needs. I've been using the Red Sea Alk kit and am not getting sharp color change from red to blue. Makes it hard to get an accurate idea on how much Alk my corals are using.

How is the Red Sea Alk test kit doing for you? I'm in the same boat as you. I just set up my dosing pumps and am trying to get a handle on my dosing needs. I've been using the Red Sea Alk kit and am not getting sharp color change from red to blue. Makes it hard to get an accurate idea on how much Alk my corals are using.

I know what you mean by not getting the sharp color change. I find myself adding more test liquid to make sure the color change did occur. I then adjust the reading by taking away the extra drops I put in. Unless you get a kit with digital read out, I think it will be hard to determine the exact level. And from what I read, there are mix reviews with the hannan checkers. I guess if we dont wander too far off from the normal zone we'll be ok.

It takes me about 6 weeks to drop 1dKH, but I'm dosing Kalk everyday. But, this is something that is going to be different for every tank, depending on your load.

I have to add abt 40ml of alk per day to maintain if not and k don dose for 24 hrs ill drop 30ppt. Not good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2