• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

North Jersey Get together/ meet

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Seems to me that we're split as far as members go- North Jersey- South- I can't get to a South get together, and I can't host one either for us Northerners- a thought, though, maybe us northern members could arrange a get together at a park- a bbq/ picnic- family friendly - there are a bunch in every county- Morris, Essex, Bergen Somerset- I could do that- just something to think about- some suggestions on a place would be a great start

Seems like the club has gone way down hill since the early 2000's when I was a member. The last meeting I held at my house, I think I had close to 50 people here. And I was able to get rid of 6 kittens!!!!!!!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I still don’t understand why we need to meet in people’s homes??
I think it would be better for us to find a neutral space.
Rent it out and have our meeting there. We can all put money to pay for the rental of the space.

I’ve can meet for a few hours. We setup tables
We can have a frag swap. People can bring food if they wish. Frags for sale or trade. We can also have a raffle.
If we charge $20 a table we can cover the cost.

I have seen other clubs do this with no problems.

I still don’t understand why we need to meet in people’s homes??
I think it would be better for us to find a neutral space.
Rent it out and have our meeting there. We can all put money to pay for the rental of the space.

I’ve can meet for a few hours. We setup tables
We can have a frag swap. People can bring food if they wish. Frags for sale or trade. We can also have a raffle.
If we charge $20 a table we can cover the cost.

I have seen other clubs do this with no problems.
I think the whole point of going to member's homes is so that we can see their tanks in person.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I think the whole point of going to member's homes is so that we can see their tanks in person.
Not everyone is still comfortable having people in their homes ( covid )- other's ( spouses ) don't want a crowd trapsing through their homes either or dealing with cleaning before and cleaning up afterwards- a rental place would allow us to have it rain or shine- but I think it would seem more like a swap meet and not be much fun for the families ( kids especially ) Most parks have picnic areas/ tables and are free- we could have a rain date added-

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I just think it would be better to go to a neutral location.
Where everyone can go. It’s not fair to the person hosting the meeting. It is a huge commitment. I think you will also get more participation if in a hall or a rented space.

A frag trade/sell table can be setup. We can move to different locations around NJ. They don’t cost a lot to rent for a few hours especially during the day.

I did hear that a reef club had a frag swap at a parking lot.
In PA. People just setup tables using their cars to power a small tanks. People also sold old aquarium equipment. I thought that was a cool idea.

Last edited:

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I just think it would be better to go to a neutral location.
Where everyone can go. It’s not fair to the person hosting the meeting. It is a huge commitment. I think you will also get more participation if in a hall or a rented space.

A frag trade/sell table can be setup. We can move to different locations around NJ. They don’t cost a lot to rent for a few hours especially during the day.

I did hear that a reef club had a frag swap at a parking lot.
In PA. People just setup tables using their cars to power a small tanks. People also sold old aquarium equipment. I thought that was a cool idea.
Good points, I guess one question is whether we want it to be a family affair or not- How many spouses/ kids are as enthusiastic as we are- and do they want to let you go to something like this on a weekend without them. If so, then it becomes a meet/ greet/swap thing- I doubt anyone here would want to take upon themselves to find a rental hall, collect money etc- so a parking lot would seem like a good alternative- guess we would still have to check with the owners and local authorities

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It’s not a big deal to get a place.
If we get something like the
American Legion They have them all over NJ.
We can reach out to them and see how much it would cost.
To rent the hall in the day for like 5hrs.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
It’s not a big deal to get a place.
If we get something like the
American Legion They have them all over NJ.
We can reach out to them and see how much it would cost.
To rent the hall in the day for like 5hrs.
I agree, I'm sure we can find one somewhat convenient to everyone- you up for the task- collecting money, deposit, payments- we would still have to clean up after ourselves- or pay someone

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I live in Edison. I can go and get prices for the
American legion or the knights of Columbus.
I live in the middle so it should be easy for everyone to get to it. Once we know a price we can divided that by the number of people that want to setup tables.
We will all clean up. Most halls also charge you a clean up fee.

Payment will be with pay pal.
Or cash the day of the event.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
A quick check for local venues, prices start at $250 for 50- 150 people- Some are in hotels ( I didn't think of that )

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Yeah If you get a place for $250 you charge $20 for 12 tables

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I live in Edison. I can go and get prices for the
American legion or the knights of Columbus.
I live in the middle so it should be easy for everyone to get to it. Once we know a price we can divided that by the number of people that want to setup tables.
We will all clean up. Most halls also charge you a clean up fee.

Payment will be with pay pal.
Or cash the day of the event.
No offense, but I was thinking about someplace a bit more north- we have members in Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Morris, Somerset, Union, Hunterdon, Warren ( did I miss anyone lol )- and no offense to our members 'down the shore'- but in my mind I'm thinking for a place that's within an hour drive of everyone who lives north of the Perth Amboy bridge

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You can have it anywhere you want. That’s what’s good about this plan. You can have one in the north and then have one in the south and then have one in the middle

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I guess the first questions to ask - who's interested ( that way we can determine a good central point )- second- family friendly or swap meet style- me, I'm in for anywhere within an hour drive of chester ( which just about anywhere north of Perth Amboy)- family or swap works for me- I have no kids and the wife won't come either way lol

Good points, I guess one question is whether we want it to be a family affair or not- How many spouses/ kids are as enthusiastic as we are- and do they want to let you go to something like this on a weekend without them. If so, then it becomes a meet/ greet/swap thing- I doubt anyone here would want to take upon themselves to find a rental hall, collect money etc- so a parking lot would seem like a good alternative- guess we would still have to check with the owners and local authorities
Back in the day (early 2000's) NJ reefers did just this. They rented a room at the llocal fire hall or American Legion. It was called the anual Christmas party. The ones I went to were all hel somewhere mid state so know one was left with more than a 2 hour ride. You will not be able to get a parking lot in any reputable business without some kind of liablity insurance. I due remember a meeting held once at an American Legion hall somewhere down by Woodbridge? The thing is you have to have some kind of a guest speaker. That day I think it was Sanjay from Penn State. He gave a lecture on Aquarium lighting. Unfortunately these days people have short attention spans. If you just have a couple of tables set up with frags people will get real bored real fast and head on down the road.

Monthly meetings were always rotated from south, central, to north. The last Christmas party I went to was held in Jackson. Mostly (I think), because Phyllis and her husband John were the presidents and they lived in the area and were members of the firehall.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Seems like the club has gone way down hill since the early 2000's when I was a member. The last meeting I held at my house, I think I had close to 50 people here. And I was able to get rid of 6 kittens!!!!!!!
Times change, people too. back then with more members there was a greater chance of someone taking the initiative and others to join in- today people are wary of hosting anything- even with family. Me, personally, I'm tired of staying at home, spending my time staring at the tank/ or computer screen. I don't like crowds in confined places now- but covid got me back into the hobby after 30 years out- I've met some great people here and got some great deals- even freebies. Even if this doesn't work out this year- there's always next- I'm not going anywhere ( like it or not lol )- for at least another year :cool: