• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

October Meeting - Sunday 10/22

C

concept3

all right, there's a possibility that I'll be visiting my parents in Dumont that day so I'll be stopping by for a few hours (along with the fiancee), if the GB stuff makes it for the meeting, I can pick up stuff for the Southern guys.....

I'll let you guys know by the middle of next week.

i am coming. I know alot about the mj mod. i made several. they are awesome. i could show you guys how to make one, but i would have to bring the parts pre cut since i use a table saw to cut the pvc. i have an extra prop and carbon rod. i will gather some of the other stuff and we could put one together at the meeting. i could show you what problems i have encountered with the mj mod, but otherwise, it blows away the tunze. you have to see it to believe it.
watch that video if you can, guys, so that you are familiar with the modification principles.

hey, if anyone has some chaeto to throw my way,, i would appreciate it. mine crashed a while back and i havent any. i will take as much as anyone can donate to me, the more the better.

i work night shift, and need to be in hamilton by 6pm, how far is that from your house?
how many miles approx.
RENEE

Renee,

We are all purchasing mod kits so we should have all of the parts we need! It looks like you are from 1:15 to 1:30 from my house, depends upon which Hamilton, NJ you live in! My zip code is 07675.

Looking forward to seeing you!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
All of the mod kits are in.  We sorted through them, but had a hard time making sense of it all. We ordered 29 mod kits and got 29 of the tubes and caps but then only 20 of this, 14 of that, 10 of the other thing.  Phyl emailed them to let them know.

I did one of the mod's last night.  It's not really hard once you know what you're doing.  I'll probably do my other 3 just so I have the process down a little better.  One thing to note, though, is that when I got done I had a bunch of extra parts that didn't seem to be needed.  I couldn't get the video to load and the directions on their site weren't very good, so who knows if I did it right . . . but it does seem to work really well.

Renee, you're experience is going to be very helpful!  I'll bring up a pair of dremel tools and a couple of drills, along with the other tools I needed.

Between trying sort through the group buy stuff and doing these mods, its going to be quite a busy meeting.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not for nothing, Tom, but I'm not sure I did mine right. It works but it rattles a bit. I'll do the rest of mine and give whatever guidance I can, but I'm no expert.

As their site says, this is a DIY project and they don't guarantee everyone's results will be the same. I'm giving the same disclaimer!

katlongo,
hour and a half? wow. no i work in hamilton, by trenton. live in hunterdon county. ok, well i will be sure to give myself enough time.

johnS
if your mod rattles, take a look at the centering of the hole you made for the rod to go thru. if that rod isnt exactly straight, the magnet will cause a rattle. bring it, i could see whats wrong. my biggest problem was the stopper i needed to install to reverse the pump when it starts in the wrong directon.

this should be fun, how did you guys announce a group buy? i didnt know about it.

RENEE

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Renee, there's been a thread running in the General forum for a while now. Also we just finished the Premium Aquatics group buy. That was in the members only section under group buys.

Most things are posted here and on RC (though the MJ Mod wasn't put up on RC).

We'll be sure to bring our MJs. I look forward to seeing how to fine tune them.

Thanks!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
John, I know that it says on the MJMods site *keep in mind that many of these items can be used to make more than one mod*. That if you ordered extra props, caps, etc.. you could make more mods.

I also have a dremel that I can bring. Which attachment will I need for it?

To all who have asked - please bring a side dish or a dessert or beer. Let me know what you're bringing so that we don't get to much of one thing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We also used a flat head screw driver, a pry bar, a good ruler, super glue, ...

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Renee - Thanks for the info.  The kit we bought comes with a pre-fabbed cap with the center hole already drilled.  It looks to be dead center, but may be off a little bit.  We can take a look at it at the meeting.

Erna - you're right, some of the stuff they send isn't needed at all and some of it (like the acrylic rod) can be used to do a lot of mods.  I guess the concern we had was how to split the parts up for people who weren't attending the meeting.  Ideally, every person should be able to take away the parts they need without having to share with anyone else.  When I get home I'll recount the stuff and see if I can separate it out so that each person who ordered has everything they need.

Eric - To add to what Phyl said, we also needed a pair of pliers and a razor blade.

I did my second mod without using the directions and was able to do it rather quickly.  One thing to keep in mind is that there is no convenient way to mount these once they are mod'd.  I'm experimenting with some different options but haven't found anything I like.  I'm a bit reluctant to pay another $30 each for their magnetic holders I can tell you!

Does it look like a generic magnetic mount would work? I purchased two of them a few months ago and I love them. I really wouldn't want to have to buy two more!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think so, Kat. At least not without modifying it some. The maxi is no longer mounted in that direction. And the vortex shield gets mounted to the "top" where the magnet would slide into. Might be able to make an acrylic L bracket that ties the magnet to the vortex shield.