• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

October Meeting - Sunday 10/22

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The back, that used to be along the glass is now located across the top and inside that "slot" is the vortex shield.

We have yet to come up with a good way to mount this in the tank. We are trying to silicon the suction cup gizmo to what is now the back of the maxi (probably used to be the bottom). If this works it will provide a barely acceptable means of attaching to the aquarium.

At this point I'm afraid that the 30$ magnet attachment is going to be required. I'll let you know if that changes!

Renee? How are yours mounted?

Do you think the generic magnets could be glued to the proper side of the maxijet? It comes with four different clips to attach to different powerheads, but perhaps just gluing the magnets would work? If so, what kind of gluey stuff would we need?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The problem I'm finding is that the magnet (including the one they sell), or anything else for that matter, needs to be glued to the back plate of the maxijet. Unfortunatley, that back plate isn't secured too well to the pump housing. On one of the tests I did, I found that the back plate just pulls away from the pump due to the added weight of the mod parts. I was able to put a zip tie around the whole thing to hold the back plate in, but when we went to try it the silcone adhesive gave way and I got frustrated and quit for the night!

I'm really thinking that in order to do it right, you somehow have to use the slots in the pump housing that the mounting brackets slide into. As Phyl said, though, this will require some sort of L bracket.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
I know that I saw a picture of one somewhere that glued on the bracket that came with the maxijet.  Now if I could only remember where.   :eek:

I found it:

index.php

It is in my gallery. What am I doing wrong to put a picture up in a post?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I tried something like that, but the issue was that the plate that the bracket is attached to comes off the back of the pump housing really easily (at least on the ones I have they do). A zip tie wrapped around the whole thing may hold it in, or I guess that panel could be glued in.

Unfortunately, we can't use that hanger anyway because it won't fit around the frame on the top of the tank.

C

concept3

hmmmm, I am moderator incapable in this forum.  ugh.

here is the picture momof6kids wanted to show:

normal_MaxiJet%20mod%20clip.gif

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Did a search and found a few ideas:

Idea #1:
I customized the factory mj bracket by heating it up and bending it to about a 75 degree angle and then super glued a suction cup to the straight part right above the bend. The suction cup kept the bracket from rattling on the glass, which was the only noise I really heard out of it.

Idea #2:
Acrylic brackets.  Oh Rich!!!
normal_maxijet%20mod%20bracket.jpg

normal_maxijet%20mod%20bracket%20in%20tank.jpg

Idea #3:
Glue to a mag float.  The picture is with a regular maxijet, but I think the idea would still work, just turn it around the other way.

normal_maxijet%20mod%20mag%20float.jpg

Merv, what am I doing wrong in putting pics into a post?? Thanks Merv, I was getting the url from the wrong place.

And this came up with the question of noise.
Mine was loud when I first put it together, but I shortened my propeller shaft (from the back end, behind the magnet so that none of the shaft extended beyond the magnet) and that solved the problem.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can come up with something real quick/simple with no adjustment features or,
I could come up with something a little more difficult like this:
normal_maxijet%20mod%20bracket%20in%20tank.jpg

It looks to me that this guy is using his magfloat as a backer to keep it aligned. Not sure.

Don't forget Steve and Jason. They are pretty handy with this stuff and I believe they'll be there.

I think it would be better to have the bracket hold from the bottom. The MaxiJet would have to be flipped but I don't think that would be an issue. What do you think?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My thought is that the side slots are the best place to start. The reason I say that is because the top slot is where the vortex shield goes (and after testing mine, you're going to want to use it).

I was trying to make something last night but I was having a little trouble. I want to put a 45 degree chamfer along both edges of a piece of acrylic so that it will slide into the slot on the pump housing. Unfortunately, the piece of acrylic kept sliding under the fence on the table, making it impossible to keep a straight line. I'm not sure if I need a bit with a guide or what. Anyone have any suggestions?

Rich, on the picture you have, what do you figure that thumb screw is screwed into?

C

concept3

momof6kids said:
Merv, what am I doing wrong in putting pics into a post??

pull up the picture in the gallery. 

right click on the picture and go into properties. 

it's easier with two windows open.
you will now see the URL (http:yadyada dot either jpg or gif in your pic).  highlight it and copy. 

then paste it in between the image tags which are these: [im g] paste here [/ im g]

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The thumb screw in the top is probably threaded into a small piece of acrylic, chamfered on both sides to fit into the Maxi's slot. That way you can loosen the thumb screw and rotate the maxi.

I was anticipating using a router table and feather board somehow. I think once you figure out how to get the chamfers cut to fit the Maxi it will be a piece of cake from there.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK....threw this bracket together.
Needs some more adjustment/modifications.
What do you think so far?

(click thumbnails)