• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

PH problems

Warmer wetather is here and my furnace is no longer drying the air.
This means my weekly evaporation goes from 5 gallons a week to less than 1.
As I am using RO replacement water through my kalk reactor to keep my PH up, My PH started to plumet again and It is now 7.99 from 8.3 two months ago.

Any suggestions in how I can tackle my issue?

PH 7.99
MG 1290
sg 1.26
ALK 9.2
ca 420

At 7.99 is not an issue but as the summer progress it gets worse. Last year it got 7.35 before I had to do daily kalk directly into the sump.

radiata

NJRC Member
I'm having pH issues too. It dropped by a good .2 and I can't figure out why. I've been dumping in a lot of Soda Ash over the past two weeks, but have only succeeded in raising my DKH and increasing my pH only temporarily.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Fans over the sump will increase evap, pull the Co2 off of the surface of the sump and aid in airflow. That should help increase the PH.

radiata said:
I'm having pH issues too. It dropped by a good .2 and I can't figure out why. I've been dumping in a lot of Soda Ash over the past two weeks, but have only succeeded in raising my DKH and increasing my pH only temporarily.

Soda ash, Baking soda, and baked baking soda all have temporary effects on pH. pH has a ton of factors that play into it, like the amount of CO2 in the water for example.

oh and :eek: at 7.35.

The_Codfather said:
I added more flow and my PH went up from 7.9 to 8.2
I have tried that with no luck. Im going to try the sodalime with radiata and I will post findings once we receive it

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gonzapa said:
The_Codfather said:
I added more flow and my PH went up from 7.9 to 8.2
I have tried that with no luck. Im going to try the sodalime with radiata and I will post findings once we receive it
and you are sure you have no dead spots?

I do have a couple but that just due to density and the fact that is a corner tank so there is no much it can be done. My skimmer is drawing air from the outside so at this point I really do not know what else to do

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It was only one part of my tank where I faced the PH and that was a back corner.. I set it up where some of the flow would go around the back of the rocks

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Do you have a fan over your tank and sump? Iassume with the skimmer there's plenty of surface agitation in the sum. What about the display? Are you running a Ca reactor? Kalk reactor?

Phyl said:
Do you have a fan over your tank and sump? I assume with the skimmer there's plenty of surface agitation in the sum. What about the display? Are you running a Ca reactor? Kalk reactor?
Do you have a fan over your tank and sump? no but I do have koralia 4 pointing to the surface. It does generate a lot of movement on the surface
What about the display?
My return is pointed upto the surface. again it does generate water movement but being a corner tank there is no way to put anything else on the canopy
Are you running a Ca reactor? yes a PM one
Kalk reactor? yes a PM one

this happened last year also. as soonas water evaporation goes down the tank PH plummets

I tried the fan Last year and seemed to make the problem worse. I think the air in the basement is "stale" as it is enclosed with no windows and the furnace/heater are down there.
I have bought an air extractor and made a hole on the wall. Hopefully extracting air from the room will make fresh air come form other parts of the house