• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Phosban and Carbon Reactor

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Update !!

No real change in algae. As Hawk suggested it is indeed diatoms on the glass but there is a lot of green algae in the tank as well.

Here is something I did not ask for. There is a distinct smell in the tank. Something like I cannot explain.

Like dead stuff combined with decaying water. It is not very strong. I really have to smell hard to catch the scent.

Nothing has died in my tank. The nitrates are at 5 and no sign of ammonia or nitrite. Everyone is healthy.

Now, question is - is the smell because algae is dying? I know I am being too optimistic, but if anything is dying, it will smell a little?

Sunny

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not sure what the smell is from but I'd run some carbon to absorb it.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have carbon running. The reactor has GFO and carbon. The carbon is from BRS and the hi-capacity one.

It has been running for 2 weeks. Is it time to change it already?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
LOL. I forgot what thread I was in and was just looking at the recent posts. Hmm... Carbon is generally recommended on a 7d turn around, no? Jeeze, I haven't run it in a while. I don't remember!

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sunny I get a faint smell once in a while also, never figured out why but it is seldom and it goes away on its own. As far as the carbon, I believe you have the ROX carbon right? I am switching mine out every 3-4 weeks. I know that the Rox absorbs more than normal carbon which is why Boomer says you can use less, but I do not know about the life of it. there is no way I know of to tell if it has expired. You could reach out to Boomer and ask him...In the mean time I am going to try to find his recommendations to me and get back to you.

Phyl I don't know if there is a set time to replace and people are all over the board on this...Some run 24/7, some don't...Some only run for a week. From what I have read though if you use it for extended period of time it is best to change out on an alternating schedule if you have two units so you do not disturb all the bacteria that has grown in there at once and possibly throw a mini cycle in the tank. I believe this is why some recommend not to run carbon for an extended period of time.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Thanks Taz. I will change carbon this weekend (2 full weeks) and see if the smell disappears.

Till then I am going to think happily that the smell is dying algae. Hey, no harm in thinking +ive :p

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have used ROX for the last 18 months (before downsizing) and would change out ever 2 weeks. Since it adsorbs more, you can use less. I did 1/2 cup for 110 gallons (90 display + sump) and changed every 2 weeks.

Some short notes on GFO and carbon

1. In reactors it s best to add some GAC to it like SeaChem Matrix. You are not adding it for filtration, you are adding it to create space in the GFO, so it doe not "pack-up". This allows better water flow throughput of the GFO and extends its life.

2.GFO is rechargeable, if one wants to do it with Sodium Hydroxide. No, it does not mean forever. You can get about 3 recharges out of it.

3. Reactor or no reactor ROX is 1/3 cup / 50 gal of water. Other GAC's are 1/2 cup / 50 gal. GAC should be changed out 1/ m so it does not go biological and loose its adsorption properties of chemical adsorption. When used in other than reactors it should be removed, hand tumbled in a mesh bag under running water well, 1 /wk and changed 1 / m. We leave out reactors, as they are more or less self-cleaning and do not plug up with mulm and particulates like stagnant GAC in a bag or canister filter, where you end up with channeling or tunnel/chimney effect of the water.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Interesting stuff Boomer. I use ROX and have around ~200 gallon setup. SO I am using 1.5 cups.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Boomer said:
1. In reactors it s best to add some GAC to it like SeaChem Matrix. You are not adding it for filtration, you are adding it to create space in the GFO, so it doe not "pack-up". This allows better water flow throughput of the GFO and extends its life.

Certainly not questioning you here, but I always thought the gac should not be mixed due to the tumbling that would break down the gac into powder do to friction. I wonder where I got that idea from?

Learn something new every day...Thanks again Boomer

Correct, it should not be mixed. The reason is to allow the GFO not to turn in a more solid mass. One does not have to use GAC, it is just that GAC is light and works good as a "spacer". I think Matrix is a good choice because it is round and a hard GAC. Hollow Glass spheres would be better. GFO or GAC should not really be tumbling just barely moving.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
Thanks Boomer and thanks for all the info as always a cut above.

+1! Thanks, Boom. You're always a wealth of interesting information!

Boomer said:
GFO or GAC should not really be tumbling just barely moving.

I did not think you wanted GAC moving at all.

It was my understanding the sole purpose of having GFO move slightly was to eliminate the clumping thereby reducing usable surface area of the media.

Since GAC does not have the issue with clumping, you would not want it moving, since this will cause some level of friction and release particles into the tank.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Update -

The flow from the reactors almost stopped. There was almost no water coming out from the reactors.
I opened the reactors and sure enough, GFO was like a solid mass. I knew there was no tumbling. I did not pack GFO.
At this moment I am frustrated beyond belief. I have no more GFO left to refill. I ordered more yesterday.

How do I make sure that GFO does NOT pack itself???

What am I doing wrong ??? :mad: :( :-[

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear you are having problems still. I have heard of others having the clumping problems, but never experienced it myself. I wonder myself what causes this to happen? Hopefully Boomer will chime in and have an explanation for us to learn by. In the mean time I would try mixing with some carbon as Boomer suggested earlier.
Boomer said:
Correct, it should not be mixed. The reason is to allow the GFO not to turn in a more solid mass. One does not have to use GAC, it is just that GAC is light and works good as a "spacer". I think Matrix is a good choice because it is round and a hard GAC. Hollow Glass spheres would be better. GFO or GAC should not really be tumbling just barely moving.